Aerial Photo of Campus
News and Announcements

Kelly Bond ’13

BS in Nutrition and Food Science with a Concentration in Dietetics

Posted in: Spotlights

Headshot photo of Kelly Bond '13

Program: BS in Nutrition and Food Science with a Concentration in Dietetics
Graduation Date: May 2013

Please tell us about what you are currently doing and what your future plans are

I am currently working as a Population Health Project Manager at a health coalition in Northern California. I oversee a number of population health management evidence-based care programs focused on cardiovascular health, diabetes, and quality improvement. In late 2019 I spearheaded the creation and launch of a quality improvement podcast called “The QI Chat Room” (available on popular streaming services). A recent episode featured a wellness center Registered Dietitian providing nutrition counseling tips and techniques to medical providers.

My previous job was at an organic certification company where I certified food producers to the USDA Organic standard. My role was a Handler Certification Specialist and I got to work with
producers all along the food chain, including farmers at the very beginning.

As I think about the future, I hope to find a position working with sustainable food systems, active transportation, and the built environment as a way to combat climate change.

Why did you choose this field of study? Why did you choose the program at Montclair State University?

I chose to study nutrition because I felt I could have a meaningful career and help people. I started off working as a Dietary Aide in a hospital, however decided to shift paths slightly and study Public Health after I graduated from Montclair. I wanted to move more upstream and catch
people before they ended up in the hospital from chronic illness. After getting a Master’s Degree in Public Health with a concentration in Nutrition, I felt well equipped to do the work I wanted to do.

What was your favorite class or experience in the program, and why was that so important to you?

My favorite courses were the ones Dr. Douglas Murray taught. He made a point to emphasize the fact that there are many career paths for nutrition students. Becoming a Registered Dietitian can be a good choice, however you have many options. This opened the door for me and allowed me to really consider what type of work I’d find most rewarding.

Now that you are working in your field, how did your program prepare you for this position?

I enjoyed the variety of classes I took at Montclair, from culinary and food preparation, to medical nutrition therapy. I was able to experience the different sectors of the food science and nutrition field, and learn what I did and didn’t like. This helped me narrow my job search after graduation.