Aerial Photo of Campus
News and Announcements

Brittany Herrera

BA in Family Science and Human Development, Class of 2022

Posted in: Spotlights

Photo of Brittany Herrera

Name: Brittany Herrera
Program (Degree and Major): BA in Family Science and Human Development
Graduation Date/Expected Graduation Date: June 2, 2022

Please tell us about your plans post-graduation.

My plans post-graduation are to go straight into my graduate year to receive my MAT. I am in the Dual Cert Teacher Education Program, so I will be starting my summer courses this summer. This coming year, I will be completing my Clinicals to receive my teacher’s certification in K-6 Education, as well as Special Education.

What were the best parts of your program?

The best parts of my program were how understanding and flexible my professors were through these very hard times with Covid. In addition to Covid, I was also experiencing a very hard bump in the road, when I found that I was having a baby my freshman year of college. The professors helped me work through these school years, being a new young single mom, and really showed me how much of a blessing my daughter was, rather than a distraction to my education.

What was your favorite class or experience in the program, and why was that so important to you.

My favorite experience in this program was all my fieldwork hours. I have gotten to go to a couple of different schools to work with children. It helped me get my foot in the door for my future career, as well as helped me think about what grades I am interested in teaching.

Why did you choose this field of study?  Why did you choose the program at Montclair State University?

I chose this field of study because for as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a teacher. In high school, I was in a program that my school participated in that allowed kids ages 3-5 to come to preschool in our high school. I worked with these kids for 3 of my 4 years of high school, and it helped me realize I wanted to teach elementary. I chose MSU because of how beautiful our campus is, as well as its astounding reputation in the field of Education.

Is there anything else you’d like to share about your program, the College of Education & Human Services, or Montclair State University that we haven’t asked about?

I have mentioned this already, but the professors at MSU and in the College of Education and Human Services are very impactful. You can tell they care about their students and their futures. They work with you to be successful and to become impactful yourself.