Admission Information

All candidates must meet application and admission requirements as defined by The Graduate School.

Additional Student Responsibilities:

  • Students are responsible for seeking advisement from their academic advisor for registration and completion of degree requirements.
  • Students are responsible for completing the Physiology and Hygiene requirement and Speech requirement for state certification.
  • Any student who does not have child development as an undergraduate must take the course at the graduate level.
  • All MAT students must register to take the Comprehensive Exam during the Clinical I semester. The exam is administered once in the spring and fall semesters. Registration for the fall exam is due October 1st and February 15th for the spring exam. Registration forms and information on the Comprehensive Exam may be found on the department website.
  • It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with all policies designated in the graduate catalog and the current Center of Pedagogy Teacher Education Handbook.
  • Students are required to apply to the Center of Pedagogy for Clinical I placement the semester before placement begins. The deadline to apply is March 1 for September placement and October 1 for January placement.
  • In order to complete the program, students must file proper forms in the Registrar's Office - October 1 for May graduation, March 1 for August graduation, and June 1 for January graduation.
  • Applications for certification are required to be submitted to the Registrar's Office during the following period: October 15 to November 15 for January graduation, March 15 to April 15 for May graduation, and July 1 to August 1 for August graduation.
  • If a K-6 Teaching candidate intends to seek a Middle School Content Area Specialist endorsement in addition to the standard K-6 Certification, she or he must also complete Child Development II, as required by the New Jersey Department of Education.
  • Any variation from this work program must be approved by the Graduate School through the proper filing of a substitution form.