1. How do I apply to an undergraduate program?:
You may apply online at: http://www.montclair.edu/admissions/apply/.

2. How do I apply to a graduate program?:
You may apply online at: http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/prospective-students/applications/.

3. I would like to speak with an academic advisor. Who should I contact?:
When students are accepted into a program at Montclair State University, they are assigned an academic advisor (or sometimes two, depending on the program). All students should check WESS for advisor assignments. Students who are enrolled in a program within the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, and Literacy Department may also speak the the Department Administrator, Ms. Patricia Watson. Ms. Watson holds open advisement hours every week and can be reached at: watsonp@mail.montclair.edu.

4. I need a babysitter/tutor/special services for my child. Who can I talk to within your department?:
The department does not provide any childcare, tutoring, or other special services for children. Likewise, the department is not responsible for matching students within our academic programs with families and caregivers who require child-related services.

5. Where is the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, and Literacy Education located? When is it open?:
The department is located in University Hall, Suite 3162. The main desk is located in the front of the office suite in University Hall, Suite 3162. The department is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every day during the regular academic year. It is open from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday during the summer.

6. What are some things to keep in mind as I go through the program?

Course Substitutions

In an effort not to impede a student's progress when particular courses close, the department will often times locate course substitutions. Please contact your advisor to discuss course substitutions.

Graduate Program Information

7. I want to obtain Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification. What are my options?

Provided you have initial certification in Early Childhood (P-3) or Elementary Education (K-5), you have two choices within the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy (ECELE):

a.  24 credit post-BA program that leads to P-12 Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification

b.  36 credit MEd that leads to P-12 Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification AND a Master’s degree

If your initial teaching certification is at the secondary level, please see the TSD certification programs offered within the department of Secondary and Special Education at http://www.montclair.edu/catalog/view_requirements.php?CurriculumID=2401

8. What are the differences between the Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification and the Master’s in Inclusive Education?

There is a difference in the level of rigor involved in each program. The MEd is a master’s program. As such, the level of academic performance that is expected of the student is higher. Both programs have a focus at the early childhood (P-3) OR elementary (K-6) level depending on your initial certification.

9. What if I begin the Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification program and then decide that I want to obtain the master’s degree?

You would need to apply and be accepted into the MEd in Inclusive Education.  The 24 credits required for TSD certification are intentionally incorporated within the 36 credit master’s degree.  Therefore, any TSD courses you have already taken would apply.

10. When are graduate courses offered?

To accommodate the work schedules of our candidates, graduate courses are offered in the evenings (5:30 or 8:15) and sometimes on Saturdays.  Some courses may also be offered in a hybrid format which combines in-person and online learning.

11. I have a B.A. in Education and am certified in Early Childhood (P-3) and Elementary Education (K-6). I am interested in a Master’s degree. What are my options?

Since you hold both Early Childhood (P-3) and Elementary Education (K-6) initial certifications, you can choose to focus your graduate work at either age level.  But you will need to choose one level. You can visit the ECELE website to get detailed information about the Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification program and the Inclusive Education MEd for those holding an Early Childhood (P-3) or Elementary Education (K-6) license. http://www.montclair.edu/cehs/academics/departments/ecele/academic-programs/

12. I do not have a teaching license but I am interested in teaching children with disabilities. What options are available to me?

The special education certification in New Jersey is titled Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD). It is not a stand-alone certification.  All Teachers of Students with Disabilities must have general certification in Early Childhood (P-3), Elementary Education (K-6), or a content area such as math, science, art, physical education, etc.

 To obtain an initial teaching certification and the Teacher of Students with Disabilities certification, you have two options to consider in our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) dual certification programs:

a.  MAT Dual Certification in Early Childhood (P-3) AND Teacher of Students with Disabilities (48 credits)

b.  MAT Dual Certification in Elementary Education (K-6) AND Teacher of Students with Disabilities (48 credits)

You can visit the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy's website to get more detailed information:http://www.montclair.edu/cehs/academics/departments/ecele/academic-programs/


Graduate Admission Process

13. How do I apply for admission into one of the graduate inclusive education programs?

We have a rolling admissions policy, so you could submit your application materials and be considered for (fall or spring) acceptance.  Students accepted for the fall term will have summer registration opened to them by the Graduate School. You can visit the Graduate School link for information about admission into our programs:http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/

Follow this link to apply online or to download forms:

14. Do I have to apply to the Graduate School if I am interested in obtaining Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD) certification and not a Master’s degree?

Yes, you have to apply through the Graduate School for acceptance into any of the graduate programs.

15.  What are some important deadlines/dates?

As mentioned, we have a rolling admissions policy and so you can apply to our programs at any time.  However, it takes time to process your application so be sure to apply far enough in advance to receive a decision prior to the start of the semester in which you’d like to begin registering for classes.  Follow this link for the academic calendar for Montclair State University: http://www.montclair.edu/academiccalendar/

16. I have not been accepted to the graduate program yet. Can I still take classes?

Montclair State University's Graduate School accepts applications on a rolling basis. Still, time is needed to fully process your application. If you feel your application process will not be complete prior to the start of a given semester, you have the option to take up to two courses (6 credits) as a Pre-Decision student before a decision is made about your acceptance to a graduate program. However, you must meet the following requirements for Pre-Decision consideration:

  • You must already have submitted Part A of the graduate application.
  • You must submit an official transcript indicating that you have received an undergraduate or graduate degree.
  • You must have already paid your $60 application fee.
  • You must complete, sign, and submit a Pre-Admit status request form, which you can obtain from The Graduate School in College Hall Room 203, or online at:https://gradschool.montclair.edu/gradweb/forms/predecisionform.php.
  • The processing of Pre-Decision requests begins on August 1 for fall applicants and November 15 for spring applicants. The Graduate School will not consider your request prior to these dates.

IMPORTANT: If you are authorized to take courses as a Pre-Decision student, this does not mean you are guaranteed admission to a program. Once you have completed your application, it is reviewed using the standard criteria applied to all applications.

   Please note - several restrictions apply to Pre-Decision status students:

  • You may not take more than six graduate credits, but if admitted, these may be applied to your program after you are admitted and you obtain your advisor's approval.
  • You will only be permitted to enroll in a course if space is available. Students who are already admitted to a graduate program are given priority.
  • You must meet course prerequisite requirements (you can find these requirements in the Graduate Catalog).
  • Pre-Admit status lasts for only one semester. You must finish the application process and be offered admission in order to register for further classes.
  • No financial aid is available for Pre-Admit students.
  • Students who hold or are seeing F-1 (student) visas are not eligible to take courses as a Pre-Decision student.

17. Where do I find Graduate Study Forms (e.g., comps, change of program, etc.)?

Follow this link to get various forms needed throughout graduate school:

18. Do I have to take the GREs?

Currently, the GREs are not a requirement for admission.

19. Is there a Praxis test for the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Certification?

Currently there is no test, but this is subject to change. If a test becomes required by the New Jersey State Department of Education, candidates will be notified of that change.

20. I am enrolled in the MEd program and still have several courses left until I complete my degree.  However, I have already completed the 24 credits that lead to TSD certification.  Will I receive my TSD certification prior to my degree being conferred?

No, you will not, unless you have dually matriculated in both programs.  You will be recommended for the TSD certification upon completion of your MEd If you begin by matriculating in the TSD program, you will not be permitted to register for coursework in the MEd until you have been fully admitted to that program as well. 


  Graduate Course Information

21.  What are the course requirements for the different inclusive education programs?

Focus Area: Elementary Education (K-6)

22. Some courses indicate that a permit is required in order to register for the course. What does that mean?

Courses which indicate "permit required" are usually being run for specific candidates at a certain point in their program. To inquire if it would be appropriate for you to register for such a course, you should check with your advisor.  If approved, your advisor can request the required permit that will enable you to register. 


 Other Information


Registration priority status will be posted on WESS.  Students will receive an e-mail when information is posted. Students may add or drop classes up until 1 week following the first day of class via WESS.  Students wishing to discontinue with a class following that date will have to withdraw.  Students should contact the registrar’s office at (973) 655-4376 or visit http://www.montclair.edu/registrar/ to withdraw.

Undergrad Teacher Education Program Applications

For undergrads hoping to apply to the teaching certification programs, applications are available through the Center of Pedagogy athttp://www.montclair.edu/cehs/academics/centers-and-institutes/cop/admission/. For additional information you can contact the Center of Pedagogy at (973) 655-7976.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid is not handled through this department.  Students should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions and Student Services at (973) 655-5147 for information, attend an information session, or go to The Financial Aid Office in College Hall 208. Information is also available at: http://www.montclair.edu/financial-aid/.

Clinical I and II Experience

The last two semesters of your program will be your clinical semesters. The first, Clinical I, will require twelve hours weekly. The clinical II experience will be a traditional student teaching experience. With all that is required of you this semester it is required to have all coursework completed.

Logistics require that you apply up for the Clinical I experience the semester prior, so that the Center of Pedagogy can place you. Please keep in mind the Center of Pedagogy places upwards of 400 students a semester, they cannot consider preferences when it comes to your Clinical Experiences.

Comprehensive Exam

For those students seeking a Masters of Arts in Teaching. During your Clinical I semester you will take a comprehensive exam given by the department. You must apply to take the exam by February 15th for the Spring semester exam and October 1st for the Fall semester exam in the ECELE office, University Hall 3162.