Undergraduate Advisement

  1. How do I know who my advisor is?
    The name of the advisor is posted on WESS under Advisor.

  2. Should a student meet with the advisor before or after developing class schedule?

    Meet with your advisor before making your schedule to make certain you are taking courses that are appropriate. Meet again after scheduling to verify your selections are correct, in the event that some of your original choices were closed.

  3. What is the best way to contact my advisor?
    Every advisor has their office hours and their telephone number posted with the department secretary. Advisors can be reached via phone, e-mail, in-person during office hours, or by appointment.

  4. How do I know if a particular course has a pre-requisite?
    Courses are listed in WESS along with the necessary requirements for that course. In addition, your advisor will also give you that information when you see him/her prior to registering.

  5. How do I apply to the Undergraduate Teacher Education Program?
    You need to successfully complete the following courses:
Public Purposes of Education CURR 210
Psychological Foundation EDFD 200
Philosophical Orientation EDFD 220
Educational Psychology PSYC 200
History of American Education EDFD 221
  1. Are there other requirements to apply to Teacher Education Program?
    Yes, you must have earned 9 credits of major courses in the department, and have a 2.75 GPA overall and in the major.

  2. After all requirements on the pre-professional sequence are fulfilled when can I apply to the Teacher Education Program?
    Application are available at: Teacher Education Program
    The completed application must be submitted to:
    University Hall, suite 160 on or before the second Monday in September (fall semester) or on before the fourth Monday in January (spring semester) by 4:30 pm.

  3. When can I take courses in the professional sequence?
    Once you are accepted, you are permitted to enroll in the professional sequence, along with other courses in the general and major requirements.

  4. When should I take the Praxis II test?
    When you have completed 90 semester hours, you are eligible to take the Praxis II.

  5. Do I have to pass the Praxis II exam before to student teaching?
    Yes, students are responsible for ensuring that they satisfy the requirements of Montclair State University Praxis II policy.

  6. Do I need a specific grade point average before Student Teaching?
    Yes, you will need an overall GPA of 2.75.

  7. How do I know which General Education Requirement GNED to follow?
    Students admitted as freshmen or transfer students will follow the GNED 2002. A work program sheet can be obtained at the front desk of the ESPE department or by making an appointment with the advisement coordinator. The appropriate work program will guarantee the correct courses selection.

  8. How do I know which courses fulfill the GNED?
    Follow your work sheet for your program. Also, the University catalog lists all courses approved for the GNED.

  9. Whom do I see for a Credit Adjustment?
    You will see the Physical Education Department Administrator and make an appointment to review possible transfer credits. The necessary adjustment will be made if courses have similar content and level.

  10. How do I know that my transfer credits are eligible?
    If you transferred with an Associate Degree (AA or As) from County/Community College in New Jersey, the general education requirement will be fulfilled. However the department-required collaterals courses need to be taken. Additionally, any courses that are similar to the courses offered here at Montclair State University and have a low level number cannot be used as equivalent for any 300 or 400 level coursework.

    Courses from New Jersey County/Community Colleges can no longer be used as equivalent for 300 and 400 level coursework at Montclair State University. Credit Adjustment forms will no longer be approved using these course numbers, regardless of when the course was taken.

  11. How do I declare or change a major?
    Complete the change of major form and submit to department for approval.

  12. Can I take a course in another institution while I'm in Montclair State University?
    If you have earned 60 credits from a community college, you can't take any more courses at these types of institutions.

    If you have transferred less than 60 credits from a community college, you may only take courses that are equivalent to those at MSU at the same level (100 level = 100 level at MSU).

    Also, you may take courses in another 4-year institution, as long as you do not have fewer than 32 semester hours to take.

  13. When I got permission to register for a closed or restricted course, am I automatically enrolled?
    No, you are not automatically enrolled. After the permit is granted, you need to either register on line if the time frame for registration allows or in person in the Registrar's office. If you omit this step, your permit will drop, you will not be registered and your name will not appear on the faculty roster, and you will not be allow to take the class.