Summer Literacy Enrichment and the epiSTEMic Programs
Welcome to the Summer Literacy Enrichment and epiSTEMic Programs in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, and Literacy Education!
Nationally recognized for elementary and secondary education, Montclair State University's faculty in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy Education (ECEL) has created The Summer Literacy Enrichment program and The epiSTEMic Program designed for teaching and learning with the child and teacher in mind.
The Summer Literacy Program and epiSTEMic are offered during the month of July. The Literacy Camp is offered from 8:45 a.m. – 1 p.m., followed by epiSTEMic from 1 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Summer 2017 Dates:
- Week 1: July 5th –7th W-F*
- Week 2: July 10th-13th M-TH
- Week 3: July 17th-21st M-TH
- Week 4: July 24th-27th M-TH
Summer Literacy Enrichment Program Hours: 8:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Enrollment fee: $1400
The Summer Literacy Program of the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy Education for children from grades 1-12, provides individualized and small group diagnostic and literacy enrichment services for students who are experiencing difficulties in reading and language arts skills, or are seeking to enhance their general literacy skills. The program ensures that reading and writing remain fun and meaningful with the perfect balance of instructional support to keep children engaged in literacy experiences throughout the summer months, in preparation for the new school year.
The program is staffed by classroom teachers and Reading Specialists who are in the final stages of completing the requirements for their Master’s degrees and/or state of New Jersey Reading Certification, most of whom have taught an average of five years. Instruction is done under the supervision of faculty from Montclair State University's Graduate Program in Reading.
Features of the program include:
- Literacy interest interview with parent/guardian
- Individualized instruction
- Informal and Formal Assessment
- End of program portfolio share and conference
- Written report of student progress
- Nutritious lunch buffet
The epiSTEMic Summer Program Hours: 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Enrollment fee: $1400
Faculty in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, and Literacy Education developed the program to prepare future STEM-ists and STEM teacher leaders. This inclusive program provides children in grades K-8 with diverse learning strengths to engage in hands-on, inquiry-based, interdisciplinary STEM activities for enrichment and core competencies development. Students partner with pre-service graduate certification students as they participate in one-on-one and small group STEM activities. Graduate students apply their knowledge of inquiry-based STEM pedagogy to develop lessons and assessments for their young partners. University faculty and mentor teachers facilitate the program for teaching and learning with the learner in mind. Faculty are currently researching this model of field experiences to strengthen and innovate the teacher certification programming to bridge theory with practice.
- Step 1: Go to Eventbrite for initial registration. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/summer-2017-montclair-state-university-ecel-summer-programs-tickets-31933718612
- Step 2: Within 1-2 days of payment receipt you will receive a student enrollment packet via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please complete this enrollment packet and return as a reply to the email.
- Step 3: Your child’s enrollment is complete once we receive your payment and completed enrollment form. An email will be sent as confirmation that all requisite parts for enrollment is complete.