1. How can I find my Faculty advisor?
Log onto WESS; select “Student Records”; then “Advisor.” If no advisor is listed, contact your major department listed below or contact advising in the Dean’s Office at 973-655-6975.

Anthropology Department - Dickson Hall 124 - 973-655-4119
Classics and General Humanities Department - Dickson Hall 151- 973-655-4419
English Department - Dickson Hall 468 - 973-655-4249
History Department - Dickson Hall 427 - 973-655-5261
Justice Studies Department- Dickson Hall 348 - 973-655-4152
Linguistics Department - Schmitt Hall 222 - 973-655-4283
Modern Languages and Literatures Department - Schmitt Hall 222 - 973-655-4283
Political Science and Law Department - Dickson Hall 204 - 973-655-4238
Psychology Department - Dickson Hall 219 - 973-655-5201
Philosophy Department – Dickson Hall 446 973-655-5144
Department of Religious Studies - Dickson Hall 446 - 973-655-5144
Sociology Department - Dickson Hall 304 - 973-655-5263
Spanish and Italian Department - Schmitt Hall 222 - 973-655-4285

2. How do I read my Analysis of Academic Progress?

3. How do I make sure that courses from my previous school are evaluated for transfer credit?
You should contact the departments that offer the equivalent courses at Montclair State. The department secretaries/ program assistants will forward your requests to the appropriate faculty members for review. Be prepared to submit the syllabus from your former school; if you don’t have a syllabus, you may provide a course description.

4. What is a minor?
A minor is a set of courses that establishes your proficiency in a discipline with fewer courses than a major would require. The College of Humanities and Social Science offers over 40 minors: http://www.montclair.edu/chss/future-students/majors-and-minors/

5. How do I declare a major and/or minor?
Complete the form here and obtain the appropriate signatures: http://www.montclair.edu/media/montclairedu/sdcl/cast/changeofmajor14.pdf

Often, the department in which you are adding a major or minor will keep the form and send it to CAST (Center for Advising and Student Transitions) for you. If not, you may bring it to CAST yourself. They are located in Webster Hall, Second Floor.

6. What are the General Education Requirements and am I required to take them? http://www.montclair.edu/chss/general-education-requirements/

7. How do I apply to the teacher education program and what are the requirements? http://www.montclair.edu/cehs/academics/centers-and-institutes/cop/teacher/undergrad/

8. What are free electives?
Free elective credits are credits that do not count towards a major, minor, or general education requirement, but can count towards the 120 credits needed to graduate.

For example, if a student is a psychology major and a sociology minor, completed their general education requirements and language and world culture requirement, any course taken outside of the requirements for the major or minor is a free elective. Free electives are sometimes needed to reach the 120 mark, depending on the amount of credits needed for your major and minor. The general education requirements are 42 credits, plus 9 credits for world language and world culture, plus the psychology major (38 credits) and sociology minor (18 credits) equals 107 credits. In this example, the student could take 13 credits of free electives.

Still need help?
You can schedule a 1-1 appointment with the CHSS student advisor who can help direct your steps, provide advice to work with your faculty advisor, and help you solve a problem.
Contact Ms. Courtney Cunningham – Advising and Student Engagement Coordinator, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
E-mail – chssadvising@mail.montclair.edu