Helpful Hints for Faculty Travel

1. First of all, the University policy on travel is laid out on the Montclair State University Finance page where you can find more detailed information.

      a) The travel policy is laid out directly in this document, and information there will supercede what is below if ever there is a conflict.

      b) Please note these helpful hints are not intended to be comprehensive but merely to touch on a few important points that individuals may find beneficial to have at hand.

2. For the Dean to provide any funding for faculty travel the usual requirement is that the professor will have had a paper accepted for presentation or is scheduled on the program as a panelist or in some similar role.

3. Typically you will have a set amount of funding provided by your department.  All departments will have equal funding per capita, but departments can and often do choose to distribute their funding in a customized way.  That is the prerogative of the departments.  You also will have an additional allotment provided by the Dean.  (For AY 2016/17 it is $1,300.)  Expenses beyond these funds will need to be covered by you personally or arranged separately to be covered by some other source that you have arranged (Global Education, perhaps, or your professional society for example).

4. Generally, the paperwork should be completed and signed by you, signed by your department chair (with the department’s account and amount of funding filled in), and then submitted to Joanne Caruso in the Dean’s Office (DI-401).

5. You will need to submit two separate sets of paperwork – one in advance soliciting prior approval for your travel and one afterwards seeking compensation for your expenses.

6. Prior Approval:  At least one month before your travel, you should submit a Travel Authorization form. This is especially important in cases of international travel.  The Provost must approve all international travel, and not to submit this form at least one month in advance effectively takes away his right of review.

      a) You should attach a copy of the program citing your paper or a copy of the letter informing you of your acceptance, along with a conference announcement indicating the name of the society, the location of the meeting, and its dates.

      b) For international travel, you should also attach a brief explanation to the Provost of why your travel advances the mission of the University.

7. You should also submit to us a Request for Approved Absence Form if you will be away during the semester.

8. A few hints on specific Expenses:

      a) Airfare/Trainfare:  In general, the University will reimburse only for the most economical category of ticket.  Please check the University’s travel policy in this document.
      b) Car Mileage:  If you are using your car, the University will reimburse you for mileage according to the GSA rate.  You should include with your other receipts a Google or Mapquest print out as documentation of the trip’s mileage. (Please note that we do not need a print out of the full directions, only the short version confirming mileage.)
      c) Hotels:  The University will reimburse the conference rate at a conference hotel.  Otherwise, the GSA per diem rates hold.  And be sure to set up a separate billing with the hotel at check-in for any incidentals (which the University will not reimburse).
      d) Meals:  As a full-time employee, you should claim the GSA per diem rate on your expense report. No receipts are needed. Note that the GSA chart gives a "day" rate but on a subchart you’ll find the "per meal" rate, different amounts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Your expense report should reflect these individual meal rates.
      e) Registration fees:  You may include conference registration fees as a reimbursable expense.

9. After the travel is complete, you should submit a Travel Reimbursement form.

      a) You should attach original receipts that itemize the purchases/expenses.  (Note that credit card slips are not by themselves sufficient receipts.)

      b) You should also attach documentation of your payment (your credit card slip) if the itemized receipt does not explicitly indicate that the transaction is complete and paid.  (Be sure to black out your card number)

10. Submit your Travel Reimbursement form along with the receipts to Ms. Caruso in the Dean’s Office (DI-401).

11. See Ms. Caruso for any specific questions you may have, both in advance of your trip and afterwards when completing the paperwork. 

CHSS rev 8/22/13