All First-Year Writing faculty are required to:
- meet classes on time, instruct students according to program guidelines, and provide appropriate and clear assessment of students’ work in class.
- be accessible to students. While adjunct faculty are not required to hold office hours (half-time and instructor faculty are), all faculty are required to be available for student consultation.
- submit book orders and syllabi to the First-Year Writing program for review.
- attend one opening meeting each semester.
- attend one workshop each semester.
- cooperate along department guidelines for regular (though for veterans, increasingly less frequent) reviews of performance through student evaluations and faculty observations. Faculty grades will be reviewed as well through electronic means.
First-Year Writing faculty will be supported primarily through the Director of First-Year Writing, Caroline Dadas, but also through the Associate and Assistant Directors, Department Administrator, and the Chair. Administrative questions should be sent first to the Administrator. It’s most effective to contact the First-Year Writing Director first through email, but best efforts will be made to follow-up email contact through a meeting or at least a phone call.
First-Year Writing faculty are evaluated both by their students as well as by faculty. See Program Assessment.
Peer Evaluation: During the course of the semester, you will be contacted by Phyllis Brooks with the name of the faculty member who will be conducting your observation and evaluation. Faculty will review your syllabus and some graded papers and will visit and observe one of your classes. After this, an official evaluation will be written up and placed in your file.
Student Evaluation: First-Year Writing faculty will also be evaluated by their students. Student evaluations are done electronically through Canvas; students will receive emails asking them to take the evaluations. Once you have submitted your grades, the results of the student evaluations will be emailed to you.
Faculty are expected to participate in activities as detailed by position (Instructional Specialist and Adjunct faculty). Faculty will also have their syllabi and grades reviewed by the First-Year Writing Program and will be reviewed in light of online student evaluation survey responses.
Administrative Limits to Re-Hiring
All questions about continuing employment should be addressed to the First-Year Writing Director. The First-Year Writing Program seeks to re-hire successful faculty to the extent that administrative and other rulings allow, and to the extent that we have courses that need faculty. If the department observes problems or issues with an individual’s teaching, our first action will be to consult with faculty and work together to understand the issue, and if necessary, make changes.