Academic Advising

During your time at MSU, you will face more than a few important decisions.

What courses should you take? When and how do you choose a subject for your major or minor?

Sometimes, even just building a manageable schedule can seem overwhelming.

You will not have to face these decisions alone. MSU assigns each student an advisor to help. And we strongly encourage you to see your advisor at least once a semester.

All undeclared undergraduates are assigned to a First Year Counselor, who can help you choose a major.

Once you have chosen a major, you'll be assigned an advisor from the faculty of your major's department in either the College of Humanities & Social Sciences (CHSS), the College of Education & Human Services (CEHS), the College of Science & Mathematics (CSAM), the School of the Arts (SART), or the School of Business (SBUS).

Double majors will have an advisor assigned from one of their relevant departments.

Undeclared upper-class and adult students are assigned advisors in the Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning (CAAAL).

And students admitted into the Academic Services for Athletes, Educational Opportunity (EOF & PASS), Health Careers or Honors programs will be advised by a member of each program's staff.

Graduate students are assigned to a Graduate Program Coordinator from their chosen program, who can help with everything from course selection to research opportunities and career goals.