To protect the safety of the University community and others, and in accordance with Governor Murphy’s Executive Orders, commencement and graduation convocations are postponed until a future date. We will update this page with more information as it becomes available.
Students, plan to arrive at the venue by 5:30 p.m.
Upon entry, you will be directed to the line-up area. No guests will be allowed in the line-up area. The ceremony will last approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remember to bring your regalia and reader card with you.
- Attire — Wear flat and comfortable shoes.
- Travel Advisory — Anticipate traffic into Newark, so plan accordingly for arrival to the venue no later than 5:30 p.m.
- Coats — There will not be a coat rack in the student line-up area. Please do not bring personal items to student line-up.
- Meeting location — Prior to the ceremony, plan where you and your guests will meet after the event. The ceremony will last approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Please turn off all electronic devices during the ceremony.
- Please do not bring food or beverages into the theater.
- Please be courteous and do not leave the theater until the ceremony is completed.
New Jersey Performing Arts Center requires ALL guests to have tickets to enter, including infants and children. Guests will not be permitted to enter NJPAC without a ticket. Graduates do not need a ticket. Each graduate will be able to obtain up to three tickets for the Commencement ceremony with the possibility of receiving additional tickets if registration and space allows. Please indicate the ticket number preference when registering for Commencement through Marching Order. Ticket distribution will be managed by The Graduate School.
Commencement is a dignified ceremony marking a special time of achievement and accomplishment. The ceremony is marked by dignity and seriousness as the conferring of degrees signifies long, hard work on the part of everyone involved including students, faculty members, administrators, parents, spouses and other family members.
Our graduates are asked to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner that demonstrates respect toward their fellow graduates, other guests and the speakers on the stage:
- Please arrive on time and remain in your seat for the entire ceremony. Movement on the floor where our graduates are seated is distracting to the guests in the stands, and it is disrespectful to the speakers.
- The University wishes to recognize every graduate individually by calling each student to the stage and calling their name. Graduates will then return to their seats until the conclusion of the ceremony when the entire graduating class is recognized. Regardless of whether their names are among the first or the last to be called, it is important that each student be afforded the same high-quality experience. Remain in the venue until all students have crossed the stage for recognition and the platform party has departed.
- Silence all electronic devices and refrain from loud talking, the use of air horns, noisemakers and loud cheering.
- Do not obstruct the view of others with large signs, video cameras and other large items. Balloons and selfie sticks are prohibited in the venue.
Island Photography will be providing photo coverage for your commencement. Every graduate will be photographed by professional photographers who will be on hand to capture the moment when you cross the stage for recognition.
To receive the link to view your photo gallery and also to pre-register:
Enter your email and up to 3 of your friends and family with whom you would like to share your photos. There is absolutely no obligation to purchase. At that time, you may place orders or obtain answers to questions by calling 1-800-869-0908 or emailing email@example.com.
Note that guests will not be permitted to approach the student seating area or stage to take photos during the ceremony. Cameras and video cameras are allowed for personal use only.
Diplomas and Diploma Covers
You will receive your diploma by mail approximately 4-6 weeks after Commencement if all academic requirements and financial obligations have been met. Diplomas will be sent to the address you indicated on your graduation application. You will receive a diploma cover at the Commencement ceremony.
Commencement is your day to shine, so please feel free to announce it to your family and friends who have supported you during your academic journey. There are no printed invitations to send to friends and family, but if you would like to order personalized Commencement announcements, please visit Balfour to order. Information regarding costs and delivery is available on their website.
Meeting Your Guests
Please note that, at the conclusion of the ceremony, NJPAC requests that all guests and participants vacate the building. Please arrange with your guests prior to the ceremony to meet at a parking lot, restaurant, public transportation hub or other location, as remaining in NJPAC for socializing and photography will not be possible. If making restaurant reservations, note that graduates must report to the venue at 5:30 p.m., and the ceremony is expected to conclude around 8:30 p.m.
2020 May Commencement Campaign
Celebrate this milestone achievement with your family, friends and colleagues by participating in the 2020 May Graduate Commencement Campaign, and have your message displayed on the screen at your Commencement ceremony on May 19, 2020.