To protect the safety of the University community and others, and in accordance with Governor Murphy’s Executive Orders, commencement and graduation convocations are postponed until a future date. We will update this page with more information as it becomes available.
Plan to arrive at the venue by 10 a.m.
Upon entry you will be directed to the graduate line-up. The ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. After welcoming comments and greetings, the honorary degree will be conferred. After the official conferral of degrees and final remarks, the platform party recessional begins, followed by graduate recessional. The ceremony will conclude at approximately 1 p.m. Please note that guests and/or children will not be allowed in the line-up area or in graduate seating.
Commencement is a dignified ceremony marking a special time of achievement and accomplishment. The ceremony is marked by dignity and seriousness as the conferring of degrees signifies long, hard work on the part of everyone involved including students, faculty members, administrators, parents, spouses and other family members.
Our graduates are asked to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner that demonstrates respect toward their fellow graduates, other guests and the speakers on the stage:
- Please arrive on time and remain in your seat for the entire ceremony. Movement on the floor where our graduates are seated is distracting to the guests in the stands, and it is disrespectful to the speakers.
- Silence all electronic devices and refrain from loud talking or cheering, and the use of air horns or noisemakers.
- Do not obstruct the view of others with large signs, video cameras and other large items. Balloons and selfie sticks are prohibited in the venue.
The Senior Class Gift campaign, Leave Your Montclair State Mark, is an exciting opportunity for graduating seniors to leave a lasting legacy of their time at Montclair State University. Make an impact that will pave the way for generations of students to come.
- For a gift of at least $10, you will receive a commemorative “Montclair State Proud Supporter” button to wear at Undergraduate Commencement and to show your Red Hawk pride long after you graduate.
- Commemorate your class year! Make a gift of at least $20.20 and you’ll receive your exclusive alumni socks, a half-page ad for Undergraduate commencement*, and commemorative pin.
- For a gift of at least $50, you’ll receive a full-page ad for Undergraduate commencement*, commemorative pin, and exclusive alumni socks.
Island Photography will be providing photo coverage for your commencement. Every graduate will be photographed by professional photographers who will be on hand to capture the moment when you cross the stage for recognition.
To receive the link to view your photo gallery and also to pre-register:
Enter your email and up to 3 of your friends and family with whom you would like to share your photos. There is absolutely no obligation to purchase. At that time, you may place orders or obtain answers to questions by calling 1-800-869-0908 or emailing email@example.com.
Note that guests will not be permitted to approach the student seating area or stage to take photos during the ceremony. Cameras and video cameras are allowed for personal use only.
Diplomas and Diploma Covers
You will receive your diploma by mail approximately 4 – 6 weeks after Commencement. Arrangements for the distribution of the diploma covers will be made once we are safely back on campus.
Meeting Your Guests
Please note that, at the conclusion of the ceremony, Prudential Center requests that all guests and participants vacate the building. Please arrange with your guests prior to the ceremony to meet at a parking lot, restaurant, public transportation hub or other location, as remaining in Prudential Center for socializing and photography will not be possible. If making restaurant reservations, note that the ceremony is expected to conclude around 1 p.m.
- Remember — Bring your cap, gown and tassel with you.
- Attire — Wear flat and comfortable shoes.
- Travel Advisory — We anticipate heavy traffic into Newark, so plan accordingly to arrive at the venue no later than 10 a.m.
- Coats — There will not be a coat check available when you check in. Limit the personal items that you carry with you.
- Meeting location — Prior to the ceremony, plan where you and your guests will meet after the event. The ceremony will end at approximately 1 p.m.
- Never leave your belongings unattended.
- Please turn off all electronic devices during the ceremony.
- Please do not bring food or beverages into the arena.
- Please be courteous and do not leave the arena until degrees have been conferred, and the platform party has departed. Ushers will cue you to begin the recessional from the arena.