Plan to arrive at the venue by 10 a.m.
Upon entry you will be directed to the graduate line-up. The ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. After welcoming comments and greetings, the honorary degree will be conferred. After the official conferral of degrees and final remarks, the platform party recessional begins, followed by graduate recessional. The ceremony will conclude at approximately 1 p.m. Please note that guests and/or children will not be allowed in the line-up area or in graduate seating.
Commencement is a dignified ceremony marking a special time of achievement and accomplishment. The ceremony is marked by dignity and seriousness as the conferring of degrees signifies long, hard work on the part of everyone involved including students, faculty members, administrators, parents, spouses and other family members.
Our graduates are asked to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner that demonstrates respect toward their fellow graduates, other guests and the speakers on the stage:
- Please arrive on time and remain in your seat for the entire ceremony. Movement on the floor where our graduates are seated is distracting to the guests in the stands, and it is disrespectful to the speakers.
- Silence all electronic devices and refrain from loud talking or cheering, and the use of air horns or noisemakers.
- Do not obstruct the view of others with large signs, video cameras and other large items. Balloons and selfie sticks are prohibited in the venue.
Congratulations on your graduation from Montclair State! By making a donation to the May 2020 Undergraduate Commencement Campaign, you can have a message displayed on the screen at the Commencement ceremony on May 22, 2020.
- Graduating students can thank family and friends for their support
- Families can congratulate graduating students
- Faculty/staff can congratulate graduating students
More information coming soon.
Professional photographers from Island Photography will be on hand to capture the moment.These photos are taken without obligation. Island will contact you by email when photos are ready for viewing. To pre-register your email or parent’s email information, please go to www.islandphoto.com and scroll down to Quick Links and click on Graduation Day Photos Pre Registration. At that time, you may place orders or obtain answers to questions by calling 1-800-869-0908 or emailing email@example.com.
Note that guests will not be permitted to approach the student-seating area or stage to take photos during the ceremony. Cameras and video cameras are allowed for personal use only.
Diplomas and Diploma Covers
You will receive your diploma by mail approximately 4 – 6 weeks after Commencement. A cover for your diploma will be given to you at the the ceremony.
Meeting Your Guests
Please note that, at the conclusion of the ceremony, Prudential Center requests that all guests and participants vacate the building. Please arrange with your guests prior to the ceremony to meet at a parking lot, restaurant, public transportation hub or other location, as remaining in Prudential Center for socializing and photography will not be possible. If making restaurant reservations, note that the ceremony is expected to conclude around 1 p.m.
- Remember — Bring your cap, gown and tassel with you.
- Attire — Wear flat and comfortable shoes.
- Travel Advisory — We anticipate heavy traffic into Newark, so plan accordingly to arrive at the venue no later than 10 a.m.
- Coats — There will not be a coat check available when you check in. Limit the personal items that you carry with you.
- Meeting location — Prior to the ceremony, plan where you and your guests will meet after the event. The ceremony will end at approximately 1 p.m.
- Never leave your belongings unattended.
- Please turn off all electronic devices during the ceremony.
- Please do not bring food or beverages into the arena.
- Please be courteous and do not leave the arena until degrees have been conferred, and the platform party has departed. Ushers will cue you to begin the recessional from the arena.