Director of School Counseling Services Certification (Post-Master’s)
The Director of School Counseling Services Certification authorizes the holder to serve as a director, administrator or supervisor of school counseling services, including the supervision of educational activities in areas related to and within the counseling program in grades preschool through 12.
The Director of School Counseling certification program combines the fields of counseling and educational leadership and therefore includes courses from both fields in the Department of Counseling and Educational Leadership. The program objectives reflect the fact that skills and dispositions from both are needed to be a successful leader of a comprehensive guidance program. Completers of the program will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the meaning and significance of fundamental guidance/counseling concepts, principles and theories.
- Develop and refine a personal philosophy of education and social consciousness committed to social justice and culturally responsive learning and consistent with the goals of the College of Education and Human Services and the guiding principles of the Network for Educational Renewal.
- Develop and refine characteristics required for effective leadership.
- Analyze educational organizations and plan programs and strategies for increasing organizational effectiveness.
- Be skilled in using techniques to facilitate interpersonal and group problem-solving and decision-making.
- Be skilled in managing change and conflict in educational endeavors.
The development and implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program require a collaborative effort among well-trained, highly competent professional school counselors. The director of school counseling services ensures that highly qualified school counselors are hired, and that professional development, consultation and supervision are provided for all counseling employees. The director also provides leadership for the development and implementation of an effective comprehensive school counseling program. These responsibilities include promoting and coordinating the design, delivery, evaluation and improvement of comprehensive school counseling programs in a systematic manner to improve the academics, attendance and behavior of all students.