Comprehensive Exam Information
All Counseling Program master’s students at Montclair State University are required to pass a comprehensive exit exam (Comps) in order to graduate. The purpose of the exam is to assess the student’s knowledge of counseling to ensure minimum competence in the field. The examination also provides learning outcome data that is used by the program in developing/adapting curriculum.
Students in the Addictions, Clinical Mental Health, and School Counseling Master’s Programs take the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE), which is discussed below. Students in the 48-credit hour Student Affairs/Higher Education Counseling Program also take the CPCE.
Please note: Students in the 36 credit-hour Student Affairs/Higher Education Counseling Program take an alternative exam. For information about that exam, please contact your academic advisor (information also will be added to this site, as it is available).
There are two examination windows during the year: Fall and Spring.
Spring 2019 Scheduling:
|Montclair State Registration Window||Testing Window||Results Posted to Canvas||Earliest Graduation Eligibility|
|November 1 – December 15||January 1 – March 31||By the end of the month following testing||May 2019|
Fall 2019 Scheduling:
|Montclair State Registration Window||Testing Window (June – October)||Results Posted to Canvas||Earliest Graduation Eligibility|
|April 15 – June 15||June, July, August, September or October (October 31st deadline)||By September 30, By the end of the month following testing||January 2020*|
*Even if a student tests during the summer months, results will not be official until the end of the Fall 2019 semester
Eligibility/How to Register
Students must have completed 33 semester hours/credits within their Program of Study in order to register for Comps. Semester hours completed does not include classes a student is currently registered for or still in the process of completing.
A listserv announcement will be sent at the start of the Fall and Spring Comps registration windows with initial instructions (see above for timelines).
- Complete the Program’s online registration form
- Register for the Comprehensive Exam “course” in NEST (GRAD CMP 18)
- If both of the above are not completed by the initial registration deadline, the student will not be able to sit for the exam
- NOTE—Students with registered disabilities may request testing accommodations by submitting a signed letter from the Disabilities Resource Center and indicating the request on the online registration form
Students who both register on NEST and complete the Program’s online registration form by the deadline will receive an e-mail and PDF with additional registration instructions.
- Complete and submit the online CPCE registration form for CCE – The link to this form will be in the PDF instructions.
After completing the online form, students will receive an “Authorization to Test” e-mail from Pearson VUE within 7 business days. Once this e-mail has been received, students will complete the final registration steps on the Pearson VUE website.
- Create a profile/account on the Pearson website;
- Select a test day/time (must be BEFORE the Montclair State testing deadline)^
- Pay the $150 fee for the exam (credit card required)
- NOTE—Students receiving testing accommodations will have to phone Pearson to schedule their testing day/time and pay their $150 fee
*Fall testing deadline is October 31st. Spring testing deadline is March 31st.