Photo of students during counseling session.

Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ

General Contact Information
Ms. Sherlene Ayala
Coordinator and Clinical Specialist, Educational Leadership/Higher Education
Dr. Angela Sheely-Moore
Doctoral Program Director
Ms. Elaine P. Davis
Administrator, Educational Leadership Programs
Dr. Amanda Baden
Coordinator, Counseling Program – School/Student Affairs/Higher Education Concentration
Dr. Harriet Glosoff
Coordinator, Counseling Program – Clinical Mental Health/Addictions Concentration
Where do I find graduate study forms (e.g., comps, change of program, etc.)?
Follow this link to get various forms needed throughout graduate school:
How do I apply for admission for graduate study at Montclair State University?
Follow this link to apply online or to download forms:
How to Apply
What are some important deadlines/dates?
Follow this link for the academic calendar for Montclair State University:
Academic Calendar
As a student, where can I go on campus for personal counseling services provided by professionals other than counseling program faculty and students?
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers short-term individual and group counseling to students, as well as a variety of educational and consultative services designed to promote wellness in the campus community. CAPS is located in Russ Hall–The phone number is 973-655-5211 or visit the CAPS website.

FAQ – Counseling Program

Where do I find information about the Comprehensive Exams?
Please visit the Comprehensive Exam Information page.
I am interested in becoming a counselor, but to be honest, I am not exactly sure what a counselor does. Where can I learn about the counseling profession?
Two excellent sources for information about the counseling profession are the American Counseling Association and the National Board of Certified Counselors. To learn about specific specializations within the profession, consult the websites of the various divisions within ACA. We also encourage you to conduct several informational interviews with professional counselors in a variety of settings in order to get a more personal perspective.
Do I need a teaching degree and/or experience before enrolling in this masters program?
No. The State Department of Education eliminated the teaching requirements for a license in school counseling. However, you will need to complete a 48-credit masters degree in counseling.
What are the admission requirements?
Candidates for admission to the Counseling Program are required to submit a letter of application, a personal statement, official transcripts of previously attended undergraduate and graduate programs, and two letters of recommendations, one of which should be academic in nature. For further information about the admissions process and additional requirements, please consult The Graduate School website.
I am planning on enrolling full time. How long is the program?
In general, most of our full-time students may complete their program in approximately 2.5 – 3 years.
I have a full-time job and a family. Can I attend your program part-time?
Most of our students are just like you and attend classes on a part-time basis. For this reason, the many of our classes are in the evenings. Some Saturday and weekend courses are offered, as well as some hybrid.
What is the application deadline?
It is to your advantage to submit your application as early as possible in order to facilitate timely processing and review of your application before the beginning of the term. We encourage you to apply by May 15 for fall and November 1 for spring.
Where are students placed for Internship?
Students find internship settings consistent with their chosen concentration. These settings include, but are not limited to, K-12 schools, mental health agencies, substance abuse facilities, district offices and college settings.

FAQ – Educational Leadership Program (P-12)

Why am I having trouble registering for Field Experience?
Prior to registering for field experience, you must apply and receive a permit from the Program Administrator. Call 973-655-7718 or email to initiate the process. Please note on the call or email if you are in Principal certification or Educational Leadership and your student ID#. Once approved, a permit will be entered into the computer system for you to be able to register through WESS.
Do your programs meet the new certification requirements passed by the state in January 2008?
Yes, the certification programs for principal and supervisor meet both the old and new requirements.
Is there a comprehensive examination in all programs?
In lieu of a comprehensive exam, students are required to do their capstone project within their internship coursework. Students apply for this course at least one semester prior to the selected semester they will do their capstone internship work.
Who actually certifies administrators and supervisors?
The State of New Jersey, Department of Education is the certifying agent. Montclair State will coordinate the paperwork for certification if you are enrolled in a formal certification program; eg., MA Educational Leadership.
What is the Certificate of Eligibility (CE)?
A Certificate of Eligibility, or CE, is a temporary certificate that leads directly to a permanent certificate. You qualify for the CE by obtaining the master’s degree and passing the state test (Praxis). The CE enables you to seek and obtain employment as a vice principal or principal. Upon completion of mentorship (one-two years), you will receive the permanent certification.
What certificates require a standardized test?
The Certificate of Eligibility for Principal requires the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA), and the School Administrator Certificate (superintendent/central office certification) requires the School Superintendent Assessment (SSA). Both assessments are given by the Education Testing Service (ETS).

FAQ – Educational Leadership Higher Education concentration

What types of careers can someone obtain with this degree?

Many of our students pursue careers in Student Affairs, Enrollment Management and other administrative positions on a college campus.

I am planning on enrolling part time because I work full time in Higher Education. Will I be able to complete this degree?

Absolutely. Our courses are offered in the evenings and on the weekends. Our evening courses begin at 5:30 pm. We also run courses at 8:15 pm.

Are there any internship components to the program?

In order to successfully complete the program, all students are required to enroll and complete a 3-credit Capstone Experience which requires students to design and implement a project or initiative in a Higher Education setting. This opportunity allows students hands on experience in the field to not only utilize theory to inform their practice, but to take ownership of an initiative.

On average, how long does it take to complete the program?

Two years.