All graduate students in the department will have their program of study developed with the Program Coordinator or their assigned advisor, once they have been accepted. The body of each program will reflect the particular specialization selected by the student and be approved by the Program Coordinator. This individualized program will be designed to meet the specific needs and career goals of the graduate student. Completion of supervised field experiences melds learning with on-site application, and is required in all programs and concentrations.
In a few cases, students may be granted conditional acceptance into the program due to minimal deficiencies evidenced by their GPA or entrance examination score. All aspects of this acceptance must be successfully achieved for full matriculation to be considered. Students admitted under this status are encouraged to meet with their assigned advisor soon after admission and throughout the period of their conditional acceptance.
CEL Expectations for Students
The department’s academic programs in counseling and educational leadership are committed to preparing professionals who:
- Apply critical thinking approaches and skills to their respective disciplines and exhibit both theoretical and practical application of these approaches and skills in their professional fields.
- Use critical thinking to make sound, responsible judgments and decisions in working with clients, students, and other professionals in their respective fields.
- Act with sound ethical principles when carrying out the role of the professional in each of the three areas, keeping in mind the key responsibility this professional has toward student and client.
- Function as a responsible, caring professional in his or her specialty field, seeking to promote the best interests of the clients and students these professional fields serve.
- Display an understanding of the political and social environment and the professional and personal roles each citizen must play in order to ensure that society remains a free and open democracy.
- Commit to a professional life that will enhance self-renewal and encourage others in the profession to seek careers devoted to the advancement of the principles and standards of their respective fields of interest.
Ms. Sherlene Ayala
Coordinator and Clinical Specialist, Educational Leadership-Higher Education
Ms. Elaine P. Davis
Administrator, Educational Leadership
Ms. Kathleen M. Mangano
Clinical Coordinator, Counseling Field Experience
Dr. Amanda Baden
Coordinator, Counseling School/Student Affairs/Higher Education
Dr. Harriet Glosoff
Coordinator, Clinical Mental Health/Addictions Concentration