Where Do I Find Help?


Treatment for alcohol and other drug concerns takes a non-judgmental, brief motivational approach designed to increase a student's desire to make positive changes regarding his or her alcohol and/or drug use. This approach emphasizes a student's choice and motivation to change. Treatment often involves once-a-week meetings, which can be supplemented by weekly groups on campus or off campus.

Due to the short-term treatment model at CAPS, some students will be provided with off-campus referrals for more extensive support when that treatment is deemed most appropriate.

Let’s Talk

"Let's Talk" is a program that provides easy access to informal, confidential consultations with CAPS counselors. Walk-in hours will be held five days a week at five different sites on campus. There is no appointment or fee necessary. All sites are open to all students.

Recovery Coaching

Recovery Coaching provides a supportive environment to learn how to create a healthy relationship with peers, family and community, while cultivating a meaningful personal and professional life.

Recovery Room

The Recovery Room is an informal and confidential group for students to explore their alcohol and drug use, self-identity as recovering from alcohol and other drugs, or those seeking recovery resources, to network and support one another in a safe environment. This group is only open to Montclair State University students who are currently in recovery from alcohol or other drugs, actively seeking recovery resources or interested in exploring how alcohol and other drugs impact their lives.

**Please note people seeking to observe to fulfill academic requirements or for any other reason will NOT be permitted. This group meets on Tuesdays from 3:00-4:30 pm during the fall and spring semesters in the Drop-In Center.


CAPS provides referrals for students who are in need of treatment services not provided by CAPS. Referrals for treatment would include (but are not limited to) long term therapy services, couples counseling, family therapy, detoxification services, intensive outpatient treatment, and alcohol and drug rehabilitation services. Please call CAPS at (973) 655-5211 if you need assistance with a referral off campus.

How do I help a friend I think may have a problem?

Detoxification Resources