Photo of students during counseling session.

MA in Counseling FAQ

Dr. Muninder Kaur Ahluwalia
Coordinator, School Counseling and Student Affairs Higher Education concentrations
Phone Number: 973-655-7622

Dr. W. Matthew Shurts
Coordinator, Addictions and Clinical Mental Health concentrations
Phone Number: 973-655-7190

Emily Conte
Program Associate

For inquiries about the Doctoral Counseling program, please contact: or 973-655-3133

For inquiries about the Masters in Counseling program, please contact: or 973-655-7216

For inquiries about our Certificate programs, please contact: or 973-655-7216

Why did you change the program?
The four concentrations were all in need of updating. These changes better reflect the current scope of counselors’ work as well as best practices in the profession. Additionally, these curricular changes are consistent with current CACREP accreditation standards and credential (e.g., LAC, CADC, certified school counselor) requirements.
What are the requirements for the new program?
The program sheets provide an overview of the new programs. The core counseling courses remain the same as previously with the elimination of COUN 652: Marriage, Couples, and Family Counseling.
Summary of Course Changes: Community Counseling Concentration to Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration (PDF)
Summary of Course Changes: Student Affairs in Higher Education Concentration (PDF)
Summary of Course Changes: Addictions Counseling Concentration (PDF)
Summary of Course Changes: School Counseling Concentration (PDF)
Clinical Mental Health Counseling replaces the Community Counseling concentration. This program is 60 credit hours and includes additional courses in Ethics; Supervision, Consultation, and Leadership; Substance Abuse; and room for two electives. Students in this concentration will be required to complete COUN 652: Marriage, Couples, and Family Counseling.
Student Affairs/Higher Education remains a 48 credit hour program. The curriculum provides the option of a course in Program Planning and Development or Leadership and Administration, and provides for one elective.
Addictions Counseling is a 60 credit hour program and includes an orientation to the profession course and clinical applications course in addition to the requirements previously in place. Students may also now take one elective.
School Counseling remains a 48 credit hour program. The curriculum includes two courses specific to this concentration, Counseling in Schools I and II, as well as two electives. COUN 581: Community Resources, and a non-Counseling course in Leaning Theory will no longer be required.
Will my current classes count towards the new program?
Some of the courses you took in the current program may count as electives in the new program. These decisions can be made in consultation with your advisor. If it is determined that courses can count in this way, you and your advisor will complete course substitution requests. Please note that depending upon where you are in the program, changing to the new program may require you to complete more than the required number of credits if some of these courses do not count.
Can I change from one concentration to another under this policy?
You may only change from your currently admitted program to the corresponding new program option. Changes of concentration will follow the same procedure, wherein students must meet with their advisors to discussion the reason for the change and to complete and sign a form to this effect. If you do change concentrations, you will automatically change to the new program for the concentration as outlined on the attached documents.
Why should I change to the new program?
The Counseling faculty strongly believe that the new programs will prepare students for the work required in their selected settings. We have updated course offerings, included new content, and determined coursework that will enable students to achieve credentials in the appropriate program areas. For Clinical Mental Health Counseling, for example, students may complete the 60 credit hours required for licensure eligibility without having to return for additional coursework. Students in the new Addictions Counseling program will have completed coursework for both licensure and CADC requirements. Please keep in mind that if you are nearly finished with the program it may not make sense for you to change because of the requirements and when those new courses will be offered. The Advanced Certificate program remains a viable option for students who wish to complete additional coursework towards licensure eligibility if the new program will stall completion of requirements.
Do I have to change? What if I want to remain in the current program?
You are not required to change to the new program. If you are committed to staying with the current program, we will ensure that the courses required for you to complete the degree will remain available.
I’ll make the switch! What now?
Congratulations! You will need to submit the online form (link provided in the letter you received from the Graduate School) by March 7. Please note that if you make this decision after March 7, you can still change, but will be assessed the $30 fee. Once you have made the change, please work with your advisor on your new program of study and determine if you will need to complete any course substitutions so that your final audit will be cleared when submitted.