front of CELS building
News and Announcements

New Jersey School of Conservation Celebrates 70 Years

Since 1949, the 240 acre grounds of the NJSOC has introduced hundreds of thousands of students, teachers, professors, researchers, campers and counselors to the critical importance and value of the natural world, while providing an environmental ethic by which to live by.

Posted in: NJSOC

Original building at the School of Conservation
Original building at the School of Conservation

From the formation of the New Jersey (State) School of Conservation (NJSOC), Montclair State University has had the primary responsibility of the land. Prior to his Presidency at the University, Dr. Partridge was the first Director, they are now led by the sixth director in the 70 year history, Dr. William Thomas. Throughout the 50’s, Montclair was joined by five other state institutions, which led to an explosion in the use and significance of the NJSOC. Learn about the full history of the School of Conservation in the compiled memoir, The New Jersey School of Conservation 1949-2019: A spirit, a dream, a hope for the future.

The celebration of the 70th anniversary took place on the weekend of October 12 consisting of two days of activities and presentations. The current director, Dr. Thomas was also recognized with a Joint Resolution of the New Jersey Legislature for his service to the state in his role at the NJSOC. In conjunction with the celebration, former director, Dr. John J. Kirk was memorialized with the dedication of the John J. Kirk Piney Point Legacy Kiosk.