Current students looking to become a Biology or Molecular Biology major, contact email@example.com regarding the CHEM and MATH Readiness tests
Courses for Accepted Incoming Freshmen
- MATH 100 (depending on placement)
- CHEM 106 or 120 (depending on placement)
- BIOL 100
- MATH course based on placement
- Take MATH 111 Applied Pre-Calculus, unless placing out
- If student does not need MATH 111 then choose from below (refer to curriculum regarding math sequencing choices)
- MATH 110 Statistics for the Biological Sciences
- MATH 116 Calculus A
- MATH 122 Calculus I
- CSAM Math Sequences
- CHEM 106 or CHEM 120
- BIOL 112 or BIOL 113
Guidelines for Chemistry
It is recommended that students complete their 100 and 200 level chemistry courses in their first two years.
For currently matriculated MSU majors wishing to declare biology or molecular biology major:
If a student does not meet the conditions to be accepted into the biology or molecular biology major, the following conditions must be satisfied for acceptance into the department:
- Complete the Math and Chemistry Readiness Tests1
- Successfully complete a college level mathematics course.
- Successfully complete CHEM 106 – Principles of Chemistry or CHEM 120 – General Chemistry I2
- Successfully complete BIOL 112 – Principles of Biology I or BIOL 113 – Principles of Biology II
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher by the end of your first year.
1 The readiness tests determine the level of chemistry and math that you are prepared to take now, or if additional background preparation is needed to succeed in the required courses. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule their tests.
Once you feel the conditions have been satisfied, meet with a department advisor (see below) to discuss declaring biology or molecular biology major.
If you decide that this is not the right major for you, plan to meet with a University College advisor. They will help you select a different major that best aligns with your future career goals and academic achievement.
- BS in Biology Requirements | BS in Biology Four Year Plan
- BS Molecular Biology Requirements | BS Molecular Biology Four Year Plan
- BS Biology Environmental Science Concentration Requirements | BS Biology Environmental Science Concentration Four Year Plan
- Biology Department
- Contact: email@example.com