What math courses may I take after MATH 122 Calculus I, and after MATH 221 Calculus II?
4 of the 5 core major courses for Math majors are sequential:
  1. MATH 122 Calculus I
  2. MATH 221 Calculus II
  3. MATH 222 Calculus III
  4. MATH 335 Linear Algebra
After Calculus II, in addition to Calculus III you may also take MATH 320 Transitions to Advanced Math, STAT 330 Fundamentals of Modern Statistics I, and MATH 340 Probability.
Why do math courses I took in High School not count as prerequisites?
Unfortunately, completion of a high school Math subject course does not mean full and current mastery of the subject content. However, we offer placement and readiness tests to place out of MATH 071 Precollege Algebra, MATH 100 Intermediate Algebra, and MATH 112 Precalculus.
What programs does the Computer Science department offer?
Computer Science, Information Technology, Science Informatics
For Computer Science majors can MATH 335 be substituted with MATH 235?
Yes, the Linear Algebra requirement which has a MATH 222 prerequisite can be substituted with MATH 235.
My Chemistry major requires me to complete General Chemistry 1. When should I take this course?
You should take this course in your freshmen year. Data show that students who wait too long to complete their General Chemistry 1 (and other chemistry collateral courses) perform significantly worse in this course and are at risk of not graduating in a timely fashion.
My major requires me to complete General Chemistry 1. How do I get started?
General Chemistry 1 has two prerequisites that you will have to fulfill. You need to have completed MATH 100 with a C- or better, and you need to have passed the Chemistry Readiness Test with a satisfying score.
If you are an incoming freshmen, you should contact the Center of Academic Development and Assessment to take the Math Readiness Test and the Chemistry Readiness Test as soon as possible and certainly before the start of the academic year. For more information on taking the tests visit CADA's Assessment and Testing website.
If you are a transfer student or a continuing student, you should contact the Center of Academic Development and Assessment to take the Math Readiness Test. For the Chemistry Readiness Test you need to contact Dr. Kasner in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry to make an appointment to take the test.
If you meet the math prerequisite and pass the Chemistry Readiness Test, you can register for General Chemistry 1.
If you do not pass the Chemistry Readiness Test, you must take Principles of Chemistry (CHEM 106). If you meet the math prerequisite and pass Principles of Chemistry with a C- or better, you can register for General Chemistry 1. You are strongly advised to complete your General Chemistry requirements for your major in your freshmen year. The data show that students who take General Chemistry later perform significantly worse and are at risk of not graduating in a timely fashion.
How do I fulfill the research elective requirement for the Biology or Molecular Biology major?
First, be sure that you actually need a research elective. With recent changes to the Biology major, not all students need the research elective. The only way to know for certain is to look at your own audit to see whether the research elective requirement is listed. If it is, there are three different ways in which you can complete this requirement.
  1. Complete a standard course that counts as a research elective. Examples are BIOL 405 and BIOL 411.
  2. Complete an independent study (BIOL 418) with a faculty member in the department. To do this, you would need to talk to a faculty member who is doing research on a topic that interests you and find out whether he or she is accepting students. Many labs fill up in advance, so it pays to plan ahead.
  3. Complete an off-campus externship (BIOL 409) that is related to a career in Biology or closely related field. To get started on this option, first talk to the externship coordinator and CSAM Career Services Director, Gennae Hinson.
I'm a Biology/Molecular Biology major and I want to take courses at a school near me over the summer and transfer them back in. Can I?
It depends on the courses. In general, we will not approve taking a Biology course elsewhere without very good justification, however, you could potentially take collateral courses (chemistry, math physics) or general education courses. Talk to your advisor about the regulations regarding transferring courses, and be sure to get approval in advance.
What is General Education and why am I required to take it?
Montclair State University’s General Education program consists of a collection of courses that all undergraduate students are required to take – in addition to coursework in their major.
General Education is the core of the educational experience at Montclair State University. It gives you a common academic experience that you share with your fellow students. It provides you with a firm foundation of knowledge and “cultural literacy” in both traditional and contemporary fields of study. It prepares you for the working world where employers repeatedly report what they value most highly in new employees like:
  1. excellent communications skills
  2. exceptional analytic skills
  3. the ability to understand and think critically about complex issues.
In response to the challenges we know students will face both academically at the University and professionally when they enter the workforce, Montclair State faculty reviewed and revised our general education program in the late 1990s. Faculty then designed GenEd 2002 as a program that would provide students with:
  • Writing, writing, and more writing skills
  • A solid base of knowledge
  • Critical thinking skills
  • Problem solving skills
  • The ability to retrieve and evaluate information
  • An understanding of our democratic processes
  • Multicultural and transnational awareness
  • Awareness of issues related to diversity
  • An understanding of world and national issues
  • Ethical decision-making skills
*Please see the MSU undergraduate catalog for full description of all information
How do I know who my major department faculty advisor is?
You can find out who your advisor is by checking on WESS. If you cannot find the information here check with your department directly.
As a student what does academic advising mean to me?
Advising is a guide to assist you with the tools, techniques, and strategies to succeed as a student. You are an important part of the process and should be prepared to discuss your academic and career goals and address any questions you might have. Students are encouraged to take advantage of this resource while understanding that academic and career decisions are ultimately their own responsibility.
What do I need to know about repeating a course?
The policy of Montclair State University does not allow undergraduate students to repeat, more than twice, a course in which a grade of "F" was earned. The Dean of each College and School will have the discretion to make exceptions to this policy in special cases and extenuating circumstances. This policy became effective as of September 1, 1997, and applies to all students regardless of their date of entry to MSU.
Courses in which the student received grades of "C-" or higher cannot be repeated for credit. If a course in which the student previously earned a grade of "C-" or higher at MSU is repeated at MSU (other than on an official Audit basis--see section on Auditing Courses) the second grade will be posted as NC (No Credit). It is the student's responsibility to ensure that his/her registration does not include ineligible courses.
To repeat a course, a student must register and make payment for that course. Courses must be repeated prior to graduation. There is no special approval required to repeat a course in which a grade of "D-," "D" or "D+" was received. Where a course is no longer offered, the Dean of the College or School, in consultation with the Department Chair, shall designate an appropriate replacement course. A COURSE REPEATED AT ANOTHER INSTITUTION DOES NOT REMOVE AN "F," "D-," "D" or "D+" AT MONTCLAIR STATE.
When a course has been repeated, both the original and subsequent courses are included on the permanent record, but the credit is counted only once. The grade received in the repeated course becomes the official final grade.
How do I qualify for the Dean’s List?
The Dean's List, issued after the close of the Fall and Spring semesters by the academic deans, gives recognition to students with a 3.500 or higher semester GPA if a minimum of 12 credits is earned in courses that contribute to the GPA and if there are no IN (Incomplete) grades for that semester.
Part-time undergraduate students are eligible for the Dean's List each time they achieve a GPA of 3.500 or higher on 12 or more credits (no IN) which contribute to the GPA. The credits must be earned in two consecutive semesters (excluding summer) with a minimum of six credits in each term. Once a semester's credits have been used to successfully attain Dean's List status for a part-time student, they may not be used for this purpose again.

To learn more about co-ops and internships, visit the Cooperative Education and Internships webpage.