Graduation is your opportunity to shine and to celebrate your accomplishments with family, friends, faculty and students. Montclair State University undergraduate students have two opportunities to celebrate the achievement of their degree. First, at small, college-based Undergraduate Convocations held on campus intended to celebrate the academic achievements of baccalaureate candidates and where individual names will be recited. Second, at the large, formal University Commencement ceremony where degrees are officially conferred, held May 24, 2019 at 11 a.m. at Prudential Center in Newark.
The College of Science and Mathematics will host its Undergraduate Convocation Ceremony on Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 1 p.m. on Sprague Field.
This year’s distinguished alumni award recipient for CSAM is Joseph L. Fiordaliso ’67 of the NJ Board of Public Utilities. He graduated from Montclair State with a BA in Business Education. Read Mr. Fiordaliso’s full bio
Candidates for our undergraduate students who will complete their degree requirements by May 2019 and for those whose degrees were conferred in August 2018 and January 2019. Students should plan to arrive by 12 p.m. to get in line for the ceremony.
If you have questions concerning academic issues related to your degree eligibility-such as application for final audit, Teacher Certification or application deadlines–please contact the Office of the Registrar at 973-655-4376. All other questions related to your academic standing may be directed to your academic advisor.
Please note that doctoral and master’s degree candidates DO NOT attend Undergraduate Convocation. For graduate student information please visit the Graduate Commencement webpage.
If you plan to attend the CSAM Undergraduate Convocation, you must register at MarchingOrder Registration by 11:59 p.m., Sunday, April 21.
Here you will also be asked to record the correct pronunciation of your full name to be used, as you are personally recognized while crossing the stage during the ceremony. This form also allows you to indicate how many guest tickets you would like, indicate whether you plan to attend the formal Commencement ceremony, and link directly to the website for ordering regalia.
- Click on the Marching Order link sent to your Montclair State email address to complete the registration process. If you didn’t receive the email, go to MarchingOrder Registration and enter your @montclair.edu email address. You will receive an email prompting you to create a password to access the site.
- Log in and complete the registration process.
- You may return to the site anytime by going to MarchingOrder.com and using your @montclair.edu email address and the newly created password.
The deadline to complete this form is 11:59 p.m., Thursday, April 21, 2019.
Tickets and Reader Cards
Guest tickets are required for Undergraduate Convocation. Each student may request up to 10 tickets. To request tickets, complete the Undergraduate Convocation registration at Marching Order. Here you will also record your name pronunciation for the ceremony.
The deadline to register in MarchingOrder is 11:59 p.m., Thursday, April 21.
Graduating students have two options for ordering regalia:
- Place your order by the Friday, March 31 deadline and have your order shipped free to the University Bookstore. Pick up at the Graduation Fair, Monday, May 6, between 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., in the Student Center Ballroom.
- After the Friday, March 31 deadline, ship to home is the only option. All orders will ship directly to the student’s home for an additional fee. The last day to place an order for home shipping is Friday, May 3.
Convocation will be held at Sprague Field, an open-air venue, and it is anticipated that the ceremony will end at 2:30 p.m. It is highly recommended that students wear comfortable flat shoes since walking on the field is required. Pocketbooks, backpacks or other carried articles are not permitted in the procession or at students’ seats.
Student check-in will be located in Lot 7 (behind Panzer Athletic Center), upon check-in you will be directed to your designated line-up area. Students must report to check in no later than 11 a.m. Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up areas. Signs will be posted to identify major/department locations for line up. Faculty marshals will be available for assistance.
Students will be pre-seated prior to the formal faculty procession.
Again, Sprague Field is outside, and Convocation will be held if it is raining, so guests should dress according to the weather. Umbrellas aren’t allowed into the stadium, so please bring a raincoat or poncho if the forecast is for showers. The University will provide disposable ponchos if it is raining.
Convocation will not be held if there is a risk of lightning or other severe weather. The University will share information about any weather-related cancellations or postponements on its web site, its social media platforms, and in email to students.
Please call the Montclair State University weather hotline at 973-655-7810 or visit the homepage of the University website for up-to-the-minute information.
- Commencement exercises will take place indoors at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, on Friday, May 24 at 11 a.m.
- Ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes
- Individual students’ names are not read during the ceremony
- Seating is unlimited and tickets are not required for the Commencement Ceremony
- Students participating in Commencement are required to wear full academic regalia
For more information regarding the Undergraduate Commencement please visit the University Commencement website.