Environmental Quality and Remediation
About This Cluster
Environmental quality and remediation encompasses the characterization and quantification of physical and chemical processes that determine the behavior of contaminants in air, soil, water, sediment, and biota. We study the source, transport, and fate of inorganic and organic contaminants, and design and test strategies for contaminant removal, green infrastructure for urban storm water management and flood prevention, improving drinking water treatment methods and water reuse, and landfill leachate management. Additional projects investigate molecular mechanisms involved with skin cancer, melanoma, and ovulation.
- Deng, Y., (PI). “Low-cost Adsorbent Coated (LAC) Wood Mulches for Mitigation of New Jersey Agricultural Stormwater Pollution,” US Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service, 2016-2018.
- Deng, Y. (PI). “Toward Sustainable Urban Stormwater Management with New, Green Low-Cost Active Coating (LAC) Wood Mulch,” US Environmental Protection Agency, 2016-2017.
- Deng, Y. (PI). “Biochar-Coated Mulches for Alleviation of Stormwater N for Healthy New Jersey Coastal Waters,” New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium, 2016-2017.
- Wu, M. (PI). “Developing a Wetland Baseline at the Watershed Scale,” U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2016-2017.
Faculty and Student Publications
* indicates a Montclair State University student author or program alumnus
- Cowan, E.A., Gaspari, D.P., Brachfeld, S.A., Seramur, K.C. Characterization of coal ash released in the TVA Kingston spill to facilitate detection of ash in river systems using magnetic methods (2015) Fuel, 159, pp. 308-314.
- Deng, Y., Morris, C., Rakshit, S., Landa, E., *Punamiya, P., Sarkar, D. Water treatment residuals and scrap tire rubber as green sorbents for removal of stormwater metals (2016) Water Environment Research, 88 (6), pp. 500-509.
- Huang, X., Deng, Y., Liu, S., Song, Y., Li, N., Zhou, J. Formation of bromate during ferrate(VI) oxidation of bromide in water (2016) Chemosphere, 155, pp. 528-533.
- Feng, H., Zhang, W., *Qian, Y., Liu, W., Yu, L., Yoo, S., Wang, J., Wang, J.-J., Eng, C., Liu, C.-J., Tappero, R. Synchrotron X-ray microfluorescence measurement of metal distributions in Phragmites australis root system in the Yangtze River intertidal zone (2016) Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 23 (4), pp. 937-946.
- Feng, H., Zhang, W., Liu, W., Yu, L., *Qian, Y., Wang, J., Wang, J.-J., Eng, C., Liu, C.-J., Jones, K.W., Tappero, R. Synchrotron micro-scale study of trace metal transport and distribution in Spartina alterniflora root system in Yangtze River intertidal zone (2015) Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22 (23), pp. 18933-18944.
- Feng, H., *Qian, Y., Gallagher, F.J., Zhang, W., Yu, L., Liu, C., Jones, K.W., Tappero, R. Synchrotron micro-scale measurement of metal distributions in Phragmites australis and Typha latifolia root tissue from an urban brownfield site (2016) Journal of Environmental Sciences (China), 41, pp. 172-182.
- Greco, S.J., Yehia, G., Potian, J.A., Molina, C.A., Rameshwar, P. Constitutive Expression of Inducible Cyclic Adenosine Monophosphate Early Repressor (ICER) in Cycling Quiescent Hematopoietic Cells: Implications for Aging Hematopoietic Stem Cells (2016) Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, pp. 1-11, in press.
- *Hagmann, D.F., Goodey, N.M., Mathieu, C., Evans, J., Aronson, M.F.J., Gallagher, F., Krumins, J.A. Effect of metal contamination on microbial enzymatic activity in soil (2015) Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 91, pp. 291-297.
- Muñiz, L.C., Molina, C.A. The transcriptional repressor ICER binds to multiple loci throughout the genome (2016) Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 478 (3), pp. 1462-1465.
- *Qian, Y., Feng, H., Gallagher, F.J., Zhu, Q., Wu, M., Liu, C.-J., Jones, K.W., Tappero, R.V. Synchrotron study of metal localization in Typha latifolia L. root sections (2015) Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 22, pp. 1459-1468.
- *Qian, Y., Gallagher, F.J., Feng, H., Wu, M., Zhu, Q. Vanadium uptake and translocation in dominant plant species on an urban coastal brownfield site (2014) Science of the Total Environment, 476-477, pp. 696-704.
- *RoyChowdhury, A., Sarkar, D., Deng, Y., Datta, R. Assessment of Soil and Water Contamination at the Tab-Simco Coal Mine: A Case Study [Bewertung der Boden- und Wasserkontamination am Tab Simco Kohlebergwerk: Eine Fallstudie] (2016) Mine Water and the Environment, pp. 1-7.
- *Sidhu, V., Sarkar, D., Datta, R. Effects of biosolids and compost amendment on chemistry of soils contaminated with copper from mining activities (2016) Environmental monitoring and assessment, 188 (3), p. 176.
- *Soleimanifar, H., Deng, Y., Wu, L., Sarkar, D. Water treatment residual (WTR)-coated wood mulch for alleviation of toxic metals and phosphorus from polluted urban stormwater runoff (2016) Chemosphere, 154, pp. 289-292.
- Song, Y., *Deng, Y., Jung, C. Mitigation and degradation of natural organic matters (NOMs) during ferrate(VI) application for drinking water treatment (2016) Chemosphere, 146, pp. 145-153.