A CIM® does not act independently, but documents the previously determined physician or practitioner’s dictation and/or activities into the electronic medical record (EMR). CIMs help facilitate data flow by retrieving or locating diagnostic test results and facilitate patient flow by monitoring the patient’s stay, i.e. informing the provider when test results are back, if the results aren’t back following up to ensure they are completed. CIMs review the physician or practitioner documentation for coding criteria and assist in selecting the appropriate codes. This is an outstanding opportunity for pre-med, physician assistant and nursing students, EMTs or any other candidates interested in a career in healthcare.
Required Education & Work/Volunteer Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Biology coursework at the undergraduate level or above required; Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology coursework preferred
- Relevant work experience (1 or more years) in the healthcare field may be considered in lieu of the education and coursework requirement
- At least 100 hours of work, volunteer or shadowing experience in the healthcare field required; Experience in a direct patient care environment preferred, i.e. Emergency Medical Technician, physician shadowing, clinical technician in a hospital, or a medical assistant in a doctor’s office, etc.
- Strong communication skills: grammatical, spelling, and verbal
- Excellent listening and note-taking skills
- Computer proficiency and the demonstrated ability to type 60 words per minute or above (adjusted for errors)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work day, evening, overnight hours and weekend and holiday shifts
- Ability to remain calm in a fast paced, at times stressful environment
- Detail oriented with proven ability to work effectively under conditions requiring accuracy
- Basic understanding of medical terminology and general medical knowledge
Emergency Medical Associates (EMA) and its affiliated entities is a highly integrated healthcare company that offers emergency medicine, hospitalist, urgent care and practice management solutions to hospitals and health systems regionally in New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania. Headquartered in Parsippany, New Jersey, EMA is a privately held, physician-owned partnership employing over 1000 employees. EMA has been delivering its superior emergency medicine and urgent care management services through its integrated healthcare management solutions since 1977 and pioneered the use of CIMs over 15 years ago.
EMA is one of the largest democratic ED practice organizations and is widely recognized for clinical excellence, as well as the ability to increase patient volume, turn around ED operations, and improve and sustain patient satisfaction.
All hospital sites are 24 hour operations. As a CIM® you will work on a rotational shift basis, this will likely include overnights hours, weekends and holiday shifts.
We offer a collaborative team based culture with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package including an outstanding 401(k) match, profit sharing plan, medical, and vision, dental, life insurance, and tuition reimbursement program. All CIMs are enrolled in a comprehensive training program, providing the knowledge and skills to succeed in their role.
To apply, please visit: www.ema.net/cims