Many SHIP students will be considering PhD graduate programs. A good way to get into the program of your choice is to have your own fellowship. You did it once -getting into SHIP- so why not give it another try?
The National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Fellowship is given to about 2000 grad-school bound students each year. The application can be done online and is not difficult -- a few short sections, plus an unofficial transcript, which you can get online from WESS.
The award is substantial - free grad school plus $30K per year stipend while you study. Your mentor and the SHIP director should both be happy to write your recommendation letters, which are due by the end of November.
- National Science Foundation
Beyond the NSF Grad Fellowship, there are many others -- some not as extensive (not as many awards) but equally valuable. Here are some:
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research.
- Breaking Through Barriers For Women And Girls.
For Women there's the AAUW Fellowship
- The National GEM Consortium
- NASA STEM (any field of science) Fellowship for students in Under-Represented groups
- The UNCF, United Negro College Fund
- The CSGF. Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
- The SSGF, Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship
- The NDSEG, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate
- The ORISE. Oak Ridge Institute For Science And Education