Facilities Employees: Learning Today. Leading Tomorrow.
The Division of University Facilities is dedicated to providing first-rate service and maintaining a clean, safe environment. A key component of this is our commitment to provide our staff with access to various types of training. Each staff member has the opportunity to participate in professional development seminars, computer literacy training through the Division of Information Technology’s Technology Training and Development Services, health and safety training through the Office of Environmental Health & Safety, informative personnel seminars through the Division of Human Resources, and job-specific skills training.
Computer stations are available around campus for our employees’ convenience. These stations, known as “Connect Corners” are available 24/7 for Facilities staff to use for Cornerstone training, or to access the Workday Human Resources system.
Training for Facilities Employees
University Facilities supports and encourages its employees to take advantage of training and professional development opportunities to enhance job skills, to promote career development, and to expand the knowledge base of the Division.
Classified, Unclassified, and Managerial employees who have been employed full-time at Montclair State University for a period of one year or more are eligible to participate in professional development and/or training activities which are directly applicable to the employee’s job responsibilities. The conference or course must be directly related to an employee’s present position or career potential. Employees must enroll in courses while employed by Montclair State University and be in eligible employee status upon payment.
Where mandated by job title, staff are required to attend training.
Full-time employees who meet the basic eligibility requirements but are in probationary, Leave Without Pay or disciplinary status are not eligible for reimbursement. Individuals whose job performance is not determined to maintain at least a satisfactory rating are not eligible for reimbursement. Part-time, Temporary, Student, and Contract employees are not eligible to participate in this program.
- The employee will complete all Division and University forms and submit them to his or her department manager for approval. If the employee is being assigned to a development course by his or her manager, the manager will complete the forms on behalf of the employee and sign his or her approval. All forms must include written information about the conference or development course and the associated travel, lodging, and registration costs directly from the sponsoring organization and other authorized sources as specified by the Montclair State Travel Regulations policy.
- If approved, the manager will forward the completed and approved forms to the department AVP for approval.
- If approved, the AVP will forward the forms to UF Learning & Development for processing and validation.
- UF Learning & Development will review the forms, confirm that the employee is eligible to participate, and verify that funding is available before forwarding to the Vice President for final approval.
- If after review of forms, the development opportunity or conference is deemed to not be directly applicable to the employee’s job, the request shall be denied by the Vice President. The employee then has the option to attend the development activity or conference on his or her personal time and expense.
- UF Learning & Development will inform the requestor that the request has been approved (or denied).
- UF Learning & Development will work directly with the employee to pay for registration and transportation fees, if applicable.
- After completion of the activity, the employee must submit proof of attendance. The employee must also provide a written report of what was learned within five (5) days of his or her return to work. Failure to provide proof of completion and the written report within the designated time frame will result in the employee assuming responsibility for payment for the activity.
- The employee will prepare a Travel Reimbursement Form according to MSU guidelines and attach all required receipts. The GSA per diem rate pages are to be used for meal allowances. The sheets are to be printed and included as documentation with the request. Take specific note of first and last day meal allowances and incidentals which are reduced to 75% of the GSA daily rates. Approval work flow includes your manager, the Associate Director of Learning and Development, the Vice President for University Facilities, and the Director of Facilities Financial Management prior to submission to Accounts Payable.
- University Facilities Training Request Form – use this form to initiate the training request process.
- Montclair State Travel Authorization Form – complete this form in conjunction with the UF Training Request Formthis provides an estimate of any travel costs associated with your training (mileage driven, hotels, airfare, etc.).
- Montclair State Travel Regulations You may also refer to the Division of Finance & Treasury for other questions.
- Montclair State Travel Reimbursement Form – please use this form to be reimbursed for the expenses listed on the Travel Authorization From.
- Montclair State Non-Travel Reimbursement Form – please use this form to be reimbursed for expenses that are not related to travel.
- GSA website – Please refer to this website to search by city or zip code to get the correct rates to properly estimate your per diem rates (how much you can spend on lodging, meals, and miscellaneous expenses per day). These rates vary depending on the city to where you are traveling.
- POV Mileage Reimbursement Rates – If you are driving a personal vehicle to training, the GSA Privately Owned Vehicle Mileage Reimbursement Rates webpage lists correct mileage reimbursement rates. Remember to get & save receipts for any tolls and parking.
In October 2016, University Facilities implemented the Cornerstone Learning Management System (LMS). Cornerstone allows University Facilities staff to participate in online training courses and serves as a repository for tracking all training activities within the Division.
Please contact the Learning and Development office for assistance with Cornerstone.
Welcome to Montclair State University. University Facilities is more than a workplace. We open the doors to opportunity at Montclair State and we are excited to share the mission of University Facilities.
The Facilities Welcome Workshop is designed to introduce employees to the culture of our division. New full-time hires are required to attend all acclimation and onboarding activities. Information communicated in the Welcome Workshop includes organizational structure, nomenclature, roles, responsibilities, expectations of employees and University culture. Supervisors must register attendees by 3:00pm on the Wednesday prior to the Workshop.
University Facilities acclimation and onboarding strives to:
- Welcome employees to the Division.
- Help employees develop positive working relationships by building a foundation of knowledge about the University’s history, mission, vision, values and culture.
- Educate employees about their roles and how their contributions help achieve the University’s goals.
- Provide information on University policies, procedures and operations.
- Offer resources, assistance and paths for growth for each employee.
- Create a sense of excitement about working in University Facilities.
University Facilities Acclimation Activity Schedule:
- Day 1
- University Facilities Welcome Workshop 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Day 2
- Lunch with University Facilities “Buddy” Noon – 1:00 p.m.
Campus Tour & Introduction to Work Team 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Day 3
- Labor Employee Operations Workshop 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Welcome Workshop Instructor: Joana Dos Santos
Workshop Location: Overlook Building- 150 Clove Road, Little Falls
Operations Workshop Instructor: Jacqueline Alvarez
Workshop Location:Overlook Building- 150 Clove Road, Little Falls