Instruction is fully online with live, synchronous class sessions, following published schedule. Students are expected to attend all synchronous sessions via video conferencing technology.
- HAWKSYNC 100% – All weekly contact hours scheduled online.
- HawkSYNC 50%: – Half the weekly contact hours scheduled online.
Faculty Role & Experience
- Deliver course material synchronously or in a sync / async mix, in accordance with published schedule.
- No classroom scheduled.
Student Role & Experience:
- Regular attendance online in live sessions is expected.
- Complete assignments outside of class as scheduled.
- Need access to strong WIFI and a computer with mic and camera for video-conferencing (e.g., Zoom) and out of class assignments.
Planning and Set-Up Considerations:
- What are your expectations regarding video-conference attendance (required? With video? Or with chat attendance?)
- What is the purpose and goal of the synchronous sessions? Consider a flipped classroom model wherein lecture materials are delivered prior to class time, and video-conference synchronous sessions are for engagement, motivation, and students’ speaking and questioning.
- Designing Effective Assignments
- Active Learning: Engaging Discussions
- MSU Online Teaching Preparation Checklist
- MSU Canvas Course Template and Design Model
- ITDS Online and Hybrid Teaching
- Synchronous Collaborative Online Learning
- Zoom Etiquette for Montclair State University
- ACUE’s Online Teaching Toolkit
- Arizona State University’s Design for Online Learning Toolkit
- Northwestern’s Best Practices for Synchronous Sessions
- Stanford Online High School (two decades and more of synchronous online instruction): Effective Best Practices in an Online Classroom
- Vanderbilt’s Active Learning in Hybrid and Physically Distanced Classrooms
- Penn State: Engaging Students Synchronouslystrong>: (video lesson; text material; slide deck)
- Umass/Amherst’s Academic Honesty in Remote Teaching
- Tips for Teachers, Tools for Quantitative Teaching: whiteboards, equation apps, math mini-lessons and formative/assessment options