Montclair State University Has Evolved: Do You Know How?
Search committees and chairs/directors need to have a very good understanding of Montclair State University today, able to answer a wide range of candidate questions and offer information that will help to engage excellent faculty who can contribute meaningfully to the University’s mission. Often when people have worked at MSU for a long time they become very well informed about a narrow window of the University, while remaining relatively uninformed of changes in the University at large. Maintain appropriate expertise on MSU by reviewing the following resources.
Montclair State University’s Website
- montclair.edu homepage
- Check the web page’s major stories when you are engaging with candidates
- About Montclair
- Right off the home page, presents top-line information about our major achievements
- Office of the President
- See recent speeches, mission statement and strategic plan
- College/School Web Pages
- Department Pages
External Views of Montclair State University
It is valuable for search committees to be familiar with the search engine driven view of MSU, not because this is the best view (it isn’t), but because it’s the view that candidates are most likely to come across. Search committees’ knowledge of the relative value of these sources (for example, US News’ rankings have been pretty thoroughly critiqued by scholars) will no doubt allow for good conversations with candidates.
- College Navigator
- National Center for Educational Statistics
- A popular college review website, Niche provides reviews from students, and comes up high on a basic internet search
- U.S. News & World Reports, Rankings (2021)
- #176 in National Universities (only entered national rankings recently)
- #128 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #20 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #87 in Top Public Schools
Institutional Research: Facts & Figures
- Annual Institutional Profile
- A state mandated report, this 30+ page document covers MSU’s student characteristics and outcomes, faculty characteristics, the university’s profile, infrastructure improvements, research, and public service activities.
- Montclair State University Student Information
- Demographic, graduation and retention, and survey information
- Montclair State University Faculty Information
- Demographic and survey information