Private Educational Loans
What is a Private/ Alternative Educational Loan?
A private educational loan is a non-federal educational loan, through a private lending institution. Each lender has different eligibility requirements (e.g., degree status, enrollment status, and U.S. citizenship status), loan rates, repayment terms, and conditions. Some lenders may also require payment of interest while students are in school.
We highly recommend you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for any student financial aid for which you are eligible for. Private educational loans should be considered after state and federal sources of financial aid have been utilized. Before opting for a private loan, review information for the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).
- You have a 30 day window to apply for a private educational loan and a PLUS loan to choose the best rate. This is called the "shopping period". Once the 30 days is up, the credit checks for all of these loans will be consolidated to one credit check.
- Students who are not meeting SAP should always check their lender's SAP borrowing policy before applying. If using Elmselect.com to research lenders, students should use the Sort & Filter option and indicate: "Satisfactory Academic Progress: Not Required" before considering the lenders listed there.
- Register for ALL of the courses you plan to take BEFORE you apply for your loan to assure your loan is certified for the correct amount. Increases may not be possible after the loan is certified.
- Apply for the private educational loan within 90 days to the end of the semester to ensure your credit does not expire. If your credit check expires, you will need to complete a new application.
- After the application approval, choose the lender that fits your needs the best.
* You must complete the Self Certification Form 2016 and send it to the lender in order for our office to get the application to certify
* For section 2 of the form, please refer to your NEST
- A separate loan application is required for summer session(s) and for each academic year.
Montclair State University does not endorse particular private loan providers. The list of lenders are lenders that have successfully conducted business with Montclair State University in the past. Neither Montclair State University nor the Office of Student Financial Aid promote, endorse or recommend any of these loan products or lenders by including them on the list. You have the right to select the private educational lender of your choice.
ELM Select provides you with a list of historical private lenders, for which you can choose to apply for a private educational loan. If your chosen lender is not listed on ELMSelect's website, then you should contact your lending institution of choice. Please note that all lenders may not work with our ELMSelect partner, so the certification process and disbursement of funds may be delayed.
If you have received a refund after all your loans have been disbursed the following options are available:
1. Students can keep the refund and use for winter or summer classes and/or spring books.
2. Student can cash the check and then repay the lender or servicer in the same amount or a lesser amount (if you need some of the funds for educational expenses).
3. Student can request a reduction of the loan for the upcoming semester.