Code of Conduct
The Gifted & Talented program and Montclair State University strive to provide a safe, secure, educational, and enjoyable environment for our program. As such, it is essential to maintain an appropriate environment.
We ask that all participants and parents/guardians read the following rules of the program.
The members of the Montclair State University community recognize that the development of responsible student behavior and conduct is fostered by example, counseling, guidance, admonition, and by adherence to University policies and regulations.
Thus, the University encourages the cooperation of all members of the campus community, both in and out of the classroom and through online communities. To that end, the University establishes this set of policies, standards of behavior, regulations, and procedures. The code of conduct is intended to prevent, limit and correct actions that may impede, obstruct or damage the educational environment, and threaten the orderly delivery and operations of the program. All participants and parents/guardians are expected to make themselves familiar with this code. Unfamiliarity with the code is not grounds for failing to live up to the expectations set forth herein.
- Participants agree to properly conduct him/herself at all times during the course of the program.
- Participants are expected to respect the physical property of the school and to protect its environment.
- Participants are expected to show respect toward all people, their persons, their property and their right to differing opinions.
- Participants are prohibited from engaging in harassment, intimidation and bullying.
- Participants are expected to follow the appropriate directives and requests of teachers, staff, and administrators.
- Cell phones may not be be used during instruction periods. Every participant agrees to use his/her cell phone in a responsible and respectful manner.
- In accordance with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989, Gifted and Talented prohibits the unlawful possession, use and/or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol on its property and /or as part of its activities policy. Offenders are subject to local, state and federal law as well as interdisciplinary action by Gifted & Talented. If drugs and alcohol are found, the participant will be sent home immediately without a refund.
- Participants who display chronic behavior or academic problems may be removed from the program.
- Participants, whose presence poses a continuing danger to persons or property, or an ongoing threat of disrupting the academic processes, will be removed from the program.
- Assessment reports from the student’s educational institution will be requested if deemed necessary by the Gifted and Talented staff.
- Violations of the code of conduct will result in immediate expulsion from the program with no tuition refund. Parents/guardian will be notified immediately and are required to come to campus within two (2) hours to provide transportation home. If parents are unable to come to campus, in signing this agreement, parent authorizes Gifted & Talented to make arrangements for the student’s transportation home within said 2 hours and parent acknowledges and accepts full financial responsibility for all return transportation.