Mission and Membership
Why we're here
We represent the diverse community of Gay & Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender faculty and staff of Montclair State University.
One mission of Montclair State University is to establish a community where diversity is welcomed, encouraged, and supported. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender individuals are part of that diversity. There is a need to foster understanding and outreach about our lives and concerns in order to reduce fear, prejudice, and discrimination.
Recognizing this need, the Gay & Lesbian Faculty & Staff Association [GLFSA] seeks to:
- Foster a safe and comfortable environment for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgendered students, faculty and staff.
- Educate the University community about the lives & concerns of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgendered individuals.
- Provide positive role models of openly Gay & Lesbian faculty & staff as a support system for other Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender faculty, staff & students.Aadvocate for and faciltiate the inclusion of Lesbian & Gay Bisexual & Transgender lives & concerns in academic pursuits such as research, curriculum development, & cultural programming.
- Advocate for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender issues within the structure of the University, e.g., University policy and personnel issues.
- Create a forum to respond to issues of concern to Lesbians & Gays in the wider community.
Our Program and Services
- Safe Place Program
- Same-sex advocacy
- Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Campus Events
- Montclair High School Outreach
- National Coming Out Day
- New Faculty Program
- Psychological Services & Wellness Center Liaison
Montclair State Clubs/Organizations and Department Affiiation