Permanent Resident

The Office of International Services assists international faculty and staff with the process of obtaining lawful permanent residence status (commonly known as a “green card”) if the individual meets the legal criteria, and the hiring department agrees to sponsorship.  There are a number of pathways through which a foreign national can become a Permanent Resident through employment at Montclair State.

The categories for Employment Based (EB) are divided according to order of preference (1,2,3,4,5).  There are also subcategories within each preference group.  Common categories of applications for a green card at Montclair State include but are not limited to:

Planning is everything when it comes to applying for a green card.  Generally speaking, it is imperative to start the green card application process before the end of your 5th year in H-1B status. Waiting too long to seek advice can result in a significant lapse in work authorization and legal status. The cost of legal fees for an attorney outside of MSU can be around $5,000. The services provided by MSU are of no cost to the employee.

For consultation on any of the above information, please contact the Office of International Services: + 001(973) 655-6862