Applying for a Visa

International Students planning degree study in the United States are required to obtain the Student (F1) Visa unless they have another valid non-immigrant visa status that allows them to remain in the U.S. If you plan to obtain the Student Visa F1 status for study at Montclair State University, you must apply and be accepted to the University and obtain the I-20 Certificate of Financial Eligibility form from the Office of International Services. The I-20 form is required in order to obtain valid F1 Student visa status. Instructions for applying for the I-20 Form are also listed under each category to the right.

Most Visiting International students enter the United States on the J-1 Student Visa. There are also other visa types that are allowed to study in the United States. If you have another visa and wish to know whether you can study full-time or part-time with that type of visa, contact International Services.

In order to obtain the DS-2019 Form necessary to apply for the J-1 visa, a student must show that they have sufficient financial support to cover all expenses during their semester or year at Montclair State University.
To request a DS-2019 Form please contact Ms Domenica Dominguez Director of Study Abroad and International Exchanges.