Applying for J-1 Visa

Montclair State University welcomes and values internationals students on our campus and we encourage you to apply for admissions. We are currently accepting applications for all levels of study including undergraduate (Bachelors degree), graduate (Masters degree or Professional Certificate Programs), and for the Doctoral degree. We also welcome inquiries from Exchange Students who wish to study for one or two semesters and then return to their home country universities.

Please click on your specific level of study listed to the right for complete instructions about applying for admissions.

DS-2019 Application for the J-1 Student Visa

Most Visiting International students enter the United States on the J-1 Student Visa. There are also other visa types that are allowed to study in the United States. If you have another visa and wish to know whether you can study full-time or part-time with that type of visa, contact International Services.

In order to obtain the DS-2019 Form necessary to apply for the J-1 visa, a student must show that they have sufficient financial support to cover all expenses during their semester or year at Montclair State University.

2009-2010 Per Semester Estimate of Expenses for Undergraduate Visiting Students




Average Tuition and Fees (per semester)



Average Room and Board



Books and Supplies

$ 700

$ 700

Total Estimate



*In your financial support documentation you may indicate that Montclair State University will provide you with an Out-of-State Tuition Waiver.  Your tuition cost after receiving the waiver will be approximately $5,500.  Please visit the Montclair State University Student Account’s website for cost details.

Immigration regulations require that all J-1 students enroll for a full-time course load each semester. Full-time for undergraduate students is at least 12 credits for each fall and spring semester.

Graduate Students
Graduate students who wish to apply to Montclair State University as a visiting student for a semester or academic year must follow all application procedures outlined above.  IN ADDITION, graduate-level applicants must submit the following documentation:

  • Official evidence from the home institution that student has completed bachelor's degree
  • Official evidence from the home institution that student is enrolled in a graduate program
  • Official evidence from the home institution that credits received at Montclair State University will count toward the graduate degree at home institution
  • Student must complete an on-line graduate application found here (application fee will be waived).

Depending on your field of study additional documentation may be requested.