Change Of Status

A change of status is a change of one’s primary purpose for being in the United States.  There are two ways to change your current immigration status to F-1:

  1. One way is to travel back home or outside the U.S., apply for a new visa at a U.S. Consulate, and then re-enter the United States in the new status.
  2. The other way is to submit a change of status application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services while remaining here in the United States. The USCIS will review applications for changes of status based on the applicants’ ability to document and justify a change of primary purpose for being in the U.S. and verify that you have maintained lawful nonimmigrant status up to the time the application has been filed.

Note: In some cases you will not be able to begin your studies until your change of status has been approved.

Please call our office at 973-655-6862 and make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to discuss your change of status options.