Transfer Students

Students transferring from another U.S. School to Montclair State University

F-1 students transferring from another U.S. must also obtain an I-20 from Montclair State University. Your current SEVIS record will have to be transferred to Montclair State University for the I-20 to be issued. The transfer process involves several steps:

  • Complete and submit the I-20 application with all the required financial documents to International Services
  • Complete the student section on the Transfer-In Form
  • Contact the International Student Advisor at your previous school and inform them of your intent to transfer. Your advisor must complete the advisor section on the ‘Transfer-in Form’ and fax it to International Services at 973-655-7726. The advisor must also send your SEVIS record electronically to Montclair State University after you finish classes at your school
  • Once your SEVIS record has been transferred to Montclair State University, and you have submitted the I-20 application we can issue your I-20.

If you are traveling outside the U.S. make sure you follow the transfer process and receive the Montclair State University transfer I-20 as you will need it to travel back in to the U.S. If your F-1 visa has expired or you do not have an visa in your passport you will need to apply for the visa at the American Embassy or Consulate in your home country before traveling back to the U.S. Follow the instructions on section Apply for Visa.