Change of Degree Level

As an F-1 student you are admitted to the United States and issued an I-20 to complete a specific education program. If you decide to pursue a different or subsequent program at the same school, then you must comply with the procedures to remain in status when continuing from one educational level to another.

You must obtain a new I-20 for the new program within 60 days of completion of your current program.

To obtain your new I-20:

  1. Get admitted to a new full-time degree program at Montclair State University by following the admission process.
  2. Complete the I-20 Application and submit it to International Services
  3. An advisor from International Services will issue you a new I-20 that will reflect your new degree level


  • If you are transferring to another school to start a new program of studies after you complete your studies at Montclair State University, then follow the steps outlined in the section School Transfer so that International Services can transfer your SEVIS record to the new school.
  • Make sure you request your SEVIS record be transferred to the new school within 60 days of completion of program at Montclair State University