If you are moving on to another U.S. school for any reason, you must request that we transfer your SEVIS record to the new school. The new school can then issue a new I-20 to you.
In order to be eligible for transfer:
- The student must be in valid F-1 status.
- The student must be eligible for an I-20 at the new school.
- The course of study at the new school must begin within 5 months of the completion of studies at Montclair State, or the release date of SEVIS record set by Montclair State, whichever is earlier.
Steps to follow
- Complete the new school's transfer-in form.
- Submit the Transfer-In Form, with a copy of admission letter from the new school, to International Services.
- An International Student Adivsor will submit your transfer request to SEVIS by setting the 'release date'.
- On the 'release date', your SEVIS record is electronically transferred to your new school.
- The new school will be able to give you a new I-20 on or after the 'release date'.
Setting the 'Transfer Date'
- The date your transfer schools is called your 'release date'.
- As of this date, you are no longer considered a Montclair State University student.
- The date must be between the end of the semester at Montclair State University and the beginning of the next semester at the new school.
- The date must be within 60 days after the completion of your studies at Montclair State University.
- The date must be within 60 days after the end date of your Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- Simply transferring academically from one school to another does not transfer a student's F-1 status unless the above mentioned transfer process is followed.
- Students who are currently on OPT must request a transfer to the new school within 60 days after the end date of your OPT.
- Know that your employment authorization will be affected by your transfer date (e.g. employment authorization through economic hardship, employment authorization through OPT).