School Transfer

If you are moving on to another U.S. school for any reason, you must request that we transfer your SEVIS record to the new school.  The new school can then issue a new I-20 to you.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible for transfer:

  1. The student must be in valid F-1 status.
  2. The student must be eligible for an I-20 at the new school.
  3. The course of study at the new school must begin within 5 months of the completion of studies at Montclair State, or the release date of SEVIS record set by Montclair State, whichever is earlier.

Steps to follow

  1. Complete the new school's transfer-in form.
  2. Submit the Transfer-In Form, with a copy of admission letter from the new school, to International Services.
  3. An International Student Adivsor will submit your transfer request to SEVIS by setting the 'release date'.
  4. On the 'release date', your SEVIS record is electronically transferred to your new school.
  5. The new school will be able to give you a new I-20 on or after the 'release date'.

Setting the 'Transfer Date'

  • The date your transfer schools is called your 'release date'.
  • As of this date, you are no longer considered a Montclair State University student.
  • The date must be between the end of the semester at Montclair State University and the beginning of the next semester at the new school.
  • The date must be within 60 days after the completion of your studies at Montclair State University.
  • The date must be within 60 days after the end date of your Optional Practical Training (OPT).


  • Simply transferring academically from one school to another does not transfer a student's F-1 status unless the above mentioned transfer process is followed.
  • Students who are currently on OPT must request a transfer to the new school within 60 days after the end date of your OPT.
  • Know that your employment authorization will be affected by your transfer date (e.g. employment authorization through economic hardship, employment authorization through OPT).