Spouses and Children

If you are planning to bring your spouse and/or children to the U.S. as a dependent of your F-1 status, then they must obtain an I-20 from International Services.

Important Information:

  • Dependents may enter the US with or after the F-1 student

  • Dependents must have a Form I-20 (F-2) every time they re-enter the US

  • Dependents maintain their legal Immigration status by the F-1 student maintaining his/her status; therefore, if the F-1 student is out of status, so is the F-2 dependent

  • F-2 visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States

  • F-2 spouse are not allowed to study full-time in ther United States. They may not begin a full course of study until a change to F-1, M-1 or J-1 status has been approved.  Part-time, recreational study is permitted

  • F-2 dependent children may engage in full-time study at K-12 level

For further information, schedule an appointment with an adivsor in International Student & Scholar Services