Violation of Status and Reinstatement

Violation of F-1 visa regulations results in the loss of legal status in the U.S. If you lose your F-1 student status you are:

  • not eligible to work on the campus

  • not eligible to apply for or pursue curricular or optional practical training

  • not eligible to apply for or pursue off-campus work permission including OPT

  • not eligible to apply for a change of visa status

Regaining F-1 Status

There are two ways in which a student may regain F-1 status:

  • Applying for a Reintstatment to F-1 status
  • Reentering the U.S. with a new "initial admit" I-20

If you are currently out of status, then consult with an advisor at International Student & Scholar Services to review your options.