Completion of Studies
Completion of Studies occurs when you finish your complete your program of studies or your DS-2019 expires, whichever is sooner. Students on J-1 visa have a 30 day grace period following completion of studies to prepare for departure or prepare for transfer. After completing your studies you have the following options:
- Depart the U.S.
- Students on J-1 visa have up to 30 days to leave
- Inform International Services of your departure so that your SEVIS record can be completed in a timely manner
- Students on J-1 student visa can apply for Academic Training
- Students must apply for Academic Training before completing their studies
- See Employment Options - Academic Training for further information
- Change to another nonimmigrant visa status
- Students on J-1 student visa must apply for a change of status before completing their studies
Contact International Student & Scholar Services for further information.