Exchange Program

Exchange (Non-Degree) Students  

This section is intended for those students applying to study at Montclair State University as non-degree-seeking students under the auspices of one of our current Student Exchange agreements. This information is not intended for other international students who are applying to Montclair State University outside of a university agreement. International students enrolled at universities which do not have a partnership agreement with Montclair State University should apply through the Office of Admissions as a non-degree student.



Students from Montclair State University Exchange Partners institutions wishing to study at Montclair State University as an exchange student must be nominated by their university and may apply for one semester or a full academic year.  Montclair State University will only consider students nominated by their home university.  


Criteria for Admission as an Exchange Student

All students wishing to study at Montclair State University as an exchange, non-degree student must meet the following criteria:

  • Be enrolled in good standing at their home university
  • Be nominated by their home institution
  • Submit a completed application packet which includes:  


Home University Nomination




Transcript in English plus a list of courses you are currently enrolled in


Copy of inside/photo pages of your passport.



Acceptable scores are:

  • TOEFL computerized test  minimum score accepted is 213 written test minimum is 550
  • iBT test (internet) minimum score is  80
  • Minimum IELTS score of 6.5 
  • More information can be found at and at

Applicants who are citizens of the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, and have studied four years in their home country in English are exempt from TOEFL.  Per University agreements, students from the following partner universities are also exempt from submitting TOEFL scores:

  • University of Agder, Norway
  • University of Graz, Austria
  • Kristianstad University, Sweden

In the above cases, the home institution shall screen applicants for English proficiency.  Other exemptions for TOEFL are made on a case by case basis.  Students from all other partner institutions must submit their current test scores with their application packets.


Application Procedure

To apply as an undergraduate international exchange student, applicants should -  

  • Contact your University International Office Advisor (or whoever is in charge of the University Agreement).  They will submit a statement nominating students for study abroad at Montclair State. 
  • If not exempt, take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam and have the scores submitted with your application package.


Special Considerations for Exchange Students

Montclair State University will:

  • Waive tuition and fees for exchange students (up to 18 credits undergraduate, up to 9 credit graduate)
  • Waive the foreign credential evaluation requirement
  • Arrange housing, registration, orientation, special programs for visiting students


Graduate Students
Graduate students who wish to apply to Montclair State University as an exchange student for a semester or academic year must follow all application procedures outlined above. In addition, graduate-level applicants must submit the following documentation:

  • Official evidence from the home institution that student has completed bachelor's degree
  • Official evidence from the home institution that student is enrolled in a graduate program
  • Official evidence from the home institution that credits received at Montclair State University will count toward the graduate degree at home institution
  • Student must complete an On-line Graduate Application  (application fee will be waived)

Depending on your field of study additional documentation may be requested.


Exchange Student Application Deadlines

For Fall Admission, all materials should be received by early March.

For Spring Admission, all materials should be received by early October.

Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis.  Admission is not guaranteed.

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the fall and spring semesters, but due to space constraints, there are limits to the number of exchange students from each university. Please also keep in mind the time required to secure a visa when applying.


The J-1 Student Visa

Most Exchange students enter the United States on the J-1 Student Visa. Visit the U.S. Department of State to find out more about the J-1 visa.

There are also other visa types that are allowed to study in the United States. If you have another visa and wish to know whether you can study full-time or part-time with that type of visa, contact International Services at

In order to apply for the J-1 visa, a student must show that they have sufficient financial support to cover all expenses during their semester or year at Montclair State University.

Immigration regulations require that all J-1 students enroll for a full-time course load each semester. Full-time for undergraduate students is at least 12 credits for each fall and spring semester. Graduate students must be enrolled for at least 9.

The terms of the J-1 visa require students to have health insurances for the entire duration of their stay that meets minimum requirements set by the State Department.


Visa Related Costs

All international students and exchange visitors must pay –

  1. The I-901 SEVIS Fee; and
  2. The Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee - Read more about current fees for State Department services.


Applying for a J-1 Visa

Once accepted by Montclair State University you will receive instructions on how to apply for your visa.  You can also visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website to learn more about the application process.


Costs to study at Montclair State University

Estimated Expenses are outlined in our Fact Sheet (2018 Fact Sheet).  Exchange students are responsible for a paying all costs associated with their study at Montclair State.  Tuition and Fees  are waived for exchange students however other costs include -



Exchange students may request housing in our Global Living Community in the Village Apartments. Room rates vary depending on whether you are in a single or double bedroom.  International students living on campus can only be placed in the Village apartments.  Global Education discourages students from choosing to live off-campus, as there are few options available nearby that are affordable or easily commutable.  Also, living on campus is the best way to get the most of campus life!



Students may choose, but are not required, to purchase a Meal Plan. Meal plans subsidize the cost of eating in campus cafeterias and other campus dining locations.  Students living in the Village have a kitchen in their apartments and may choose not to purchase any meal plan.


Health Insurance

Montclair State University requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students to carry health insurance. As a requirement of the J-1 visa, exchange students must have health insurance for the entire duration of their time in the US and the insurance must meet minimum requirements determined by the US government. 

The University offers a plan through UnitedHealthcare and all single semester exchange/visiting students are automatically enrolled in this plan and charged for the insurance premium. We have negotiated a pro rated premium based on a single semester rate.  The insurance provides coverage from our recommended arrival date just prior to our international student orientation until the day after our semester ends.  If you elect to arrive in the US earlier than our recommended arrival date or stay up to the 30 days permitted by your visa after the end of the semester you must arrange for additional coverage. You can find out more about the plan and coverage at

Comprehensive, quality health care is available at the University Health Centerto all students.  A comprehensive list of services and fees can be found here



Students are also responsible for paying all costs associated with travel, books, supplies and personal expenditures during their study time at Montclair State. 


Selecting Your Courses/Registration

Once you are accepted, you will be contacted by our International Student Advisor to select your courses.  Exchange students, in most cases, may select courses in any of the University’s Schools and Departments.  There are a few exceptions, for example:

  • Students are excluded from most accounting classes above the 200-level
  • English writing samples may be required for some classes
  • Portfolios may be required for some Art classes
  • Auditions may be required for some music classes
  • Prerequisite must be satisfied for some higher level courses
  • Most MBA courses are not available to exchange students

The Montclair State University International Student Advisor registers students for classes, helping them maneuver through various departments’ requirements. During the semester prior to your arrival you will Choose Your Courses from the list of classes being offered during your term of study.


Social & Cultural Programs

The staff at International Services are committed to providing services that assist international students as they adjust to the University and to the United States culture.

We offer social programs, events and support groups that contribute to the enrichment of international students and to the successful integration of American and international students.

Orientation is generally the week before classes begin. Orientation provides students with information about their visas, how to get an on-campus job, campus organizations and activities, and other topics relevant to Montclair State University students.

Term Dates

Academic Calendar