Forms and Documents

Maintenance of Immigration Status

I-20 Reprint/Update Request
If your I-20 has been lost, damaged, or stolen, or if your need it to be updated (such as adding dependents or changing the source of your financial support) or corrected (such as an error in your name or date of birth) use this form to request a new/updated I-20.
Program Extension Form
This form is for F-1 and J-1 students who need additional time beyond the program end date listed on the Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) to complete their programs of study.  It should be submitted to the Office of Global Engagement thirty days prior to the I-20/DS-2019 program end date.  A student who does not submit this form and the accompanying documentation prior to the expiration date on their I-20 or DS-2019 will not be eligible for an extension and will have to leave the U.S. or apply for reinstatement to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to attempt to regain status.
Reduced Course Load Form
All F-1 and J-1 students must study full-time every required term (fall and spring semesters) and progress toward the completion of their academic programs. Students are permitted to apply for a reduced course load (RCL) to drop/withdraw from class(es) only for a limited number of academic and medical reasons. Please read this form carefully. If you are not sure whether you qualify for an RCL, please contact an Global Engagement staff member for assistance. You may not drop/withdraw from a course until authorized to do so by the Office of Global Engagement.
Request to Depart the U.S. Early
If you plan to leave the U.S. early (before the program end date on your I-20 or before the end date on your post-completion OPT EAD), you must use this form to apply for Authorized Early Withdrawal.
Status Verification Letter Request
This letter will certify that you are in active F-1 status and will indicate whether you are studying full-time or part-time. For a list of your classes and a record of your grade point average (GPA), which you should have whenever you are applying to renew your visa, please request an official transcript from the Registrar’s Office. We are unable to provide this information in the Good Standing Letter.
Travel Signature
Before traveling outside the U.S., be sure to have a valid travel signature on your Form I-20 or DS-2019 so that you can return to the U.S. to resume your studies or OPT/Academic Training. Check the 2nd page of your I-20 or the 1st page of your DS-2019 before you request a signature to be sure you actually need one. Travel signatures are valid for one year for current F-1 students and all J-1 students, and 6 months for F-1 students on OPT, and should be within their validity period when you reenter the U.S.

For travel advice (including how to renew your visa and/or use automatic visa revalidation), please visit these pages:

Transfer-Out Form
If you have been admitted to a program of study at another U.S. educational institution and want to transfer your SEVIS record to your new school, you must submit this form so that we can process the transfer of your SEVIS record.

On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment Confirmation
Request the On Campus Employment (Payroll) Letter if you will be working on campus. If you don’t have a Social Security Number, first complete the Social Security Letter request below.
Social Security Letter Request
Request the Social Security Letter if you will be working on campus and do not have a Social Security Card. You will need to obtain the Social Security Card before you can begin employment on campus.

Off-Campus Employment

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, including: “alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school” [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)].
This FAQ is designed to answer all of the primary questions we receive about F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization, including how one becomes eligible, how much CPT is available, the conditions required for CPT, and more.
CPT Application
Once you have read the above FAQ in its entirety and determined that you meet the eligibility requirements, you may apply for CPT. Follow the instructions on this form to complete the application correctly and provide the required documentation.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is off-campus work authorization available to F-1 students who have been studying full-time for at least one academic year (one fall and one spring semester consecutively) and will seek employment directly related to their field of study. These documents will help you to understand the eligibility requirements for OPT and apply when the time comes.
O‌PT I-20 Request  Form
I-765 Guidelines
Form I-765
Post-Completion OPT Reporting Form
This form is for students/alumni who are currently on post-completion OPT to report changes in address, employment (including unemployment), and immigration status.
Severe Economic Hardship Employment Application
If you are in your second semester (or later) of full-time study in F-1/J-1 status and have encountered an unforeseen change in the financial support you originally indicated to apply for the F-1/J-1 visa, you may submit an application for Severe Economic Hardship Employment in order to work off-campus legally.
In addition to submitting an application to the Office of Global Engagement, you will need to complete the I-765 for Severe Economic Hardship Employment as part of your application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT)
F-1 students who have earned a “bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a school that is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency and is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)” in one of the eligible STEM fields are eligible to apply for a 24-month extension of OPT.
View a list of schools certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
View information about accreditation.
OPT STEM Extension Instructions
Please read the instructions to the carefully before completing the STEM OPT I-20 Request Form below.
‌STEM OPT I-20 Request
Form I-765
STEM OPT Employment Updates
If you are currently on 24-month STEM OPT, you must complete two self-evaluations. The first is due 12 months after your STEM OPT start date, and the second and final evaluation is due at the end of the 24-month period. If you leave your job or change your immigration status prior to the due date for either of these submissions, you should submit a final evaluation to the Office of Global Engagement at that time (end of job or end of status).