New Student Checklist
Welcome to Montclair State University! We have compiled a checklist of things you will need to do as you enroll as a graduate student. While The Graduate School staff is always available to help you, we encourage you to use this website regularly as a resource.
- Setting Up Your WESS Account
- Financial Aid
- New Student Orientation
- Graduate Development Conference
- Identification Cards
- Paying Your Term Bill
- University Bookstore
All new graduate students must set up their WESS account before doing anything else.
What is WESS?
WESS is a convenient way to review course offerings, register for courses, and access your schedule, grades, and financial accounts. In addition, WESS’ “analysis of academic progress” tool lets you monitor your progress as a graduate student.
How do I set up my WESS Account
- Start from the Montclair State home page: www.montclair.edu.
- Select WESS from the quick links from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Click on “Enter Student Services.”
- Enter your social security number or student ID number and PIN and press ENTER. (Initial assigned PIN will be your date of birth. For example, if your date of birth is July 12, 1975, your assigned PIN would be 071275.)
- You may be prompted to enter a new PIN or the answer to a reminder question.
- Once you have logged in, you will be at the WESS main page.
All new graduate students must set up their NetIDs as soon as possible. This will:
- Give you a unique electronic identity for access to university online services, including email
- Set up your email account so that you can:
- Receive vital university communications
- Communicate with faculty and fellow graduate students
- Gain off-campus access to library databases and other resources
- Participate in various campus listservs for up-to-date event, deadline, and campus news
- Forward email from your Montclair account to your personal email account
Please note that you MUST sign up for a Montclair email account as you will be held responsible for the information and campus notifications sent via the Montclair email system. The University, as well as, The Graduate School's main source of communication is the Montclair State University email address. It is extremely imperative you check your Montclair email address. Once you set up your MSU email account, you will have the option of forwarding your MSU email to your personal email account.
- ** Before setting up your NetID below, you must set up your WESS account. Please review instructions on Setting Up Your WESS Account. Please note that PIN changes on your WESS account may take up to 24 hours to be updated on your NetID page.
- Set up your NetID
- Access your Montclair email account
For more information, please contact the technology helpline at 973-655-7971.
US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for student loans, which are the primary funding source for graduate students. In order to be eligible for any kind of student loan, you must be registered for at least five credits, or half-time, during a semester.
Please click here to learn about financial aid options for international students.
All newly admitted Spring 2015 students are invited to a "New Student Orientation" from 9:00-10:00am on Saturday, January 17th, 2015. The Graduate Development Conference will follow at 10:00 am. Click here for more information and registration.
The Graduate Development Conference provides new and continuing students with an opportunity to network with your faculty and peers and to attend workshops that cover topics for both academic and professional development. Please join us on Saturday, January 17th, 2015 for the Spring 2015 Development Conference at 10:00am. Click here for more information and registration.
Registered Montclair State University students will need a Montclair State University ID card to use the library, computer labs and access Red Hawk dollars – the money placed on your ID card to spend on meals, books, etc.
- Click here for the ID Office, Student Center, 1st Floor, 973-655-4147
- Click here for step-by-step directions on how to upload a photograph for your ID Card
All incoming students are required to submit proof of immunization as a pre-condition of enrollment.
- New Jersey State Law (P.L. 2000c.25) requires that all full- and part-time undergraduate and graduate students provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella as a prerequisite to enrollment.
- Documented proof of immunity must be submitted to University Health Center, Blanton Hall, prior to enrollment.
- New Jersey also requires that all incoming full-time students who will be living in Montclair State University residence halls must provide proof of immunization against meningococcus (meningitis) as a condition of attendance.
- Failure to submit the required documentation will result in the denial of future registration privileges.
- You can obtain additional information and Montclair State Immunization Information Forms from the University Health Center.
- You may fax or mail original documentation signed by a licensed healthcare provider, a copy of a signed and authorized school record, or the completed and signed Montclair State Immunization Information Form to the University Health Center .
- University Health Center Phone: 973-655-4361 Fax: 973-655-4159
- All graduate students must purchase a parking permit and register any vehicle parked in surface lots. The parking permit must be displayed as outlined in the Parking Rules and Regulations.
- Commuter students may park only in General Parking Lots: 18-28, 30, 32, 40, and 41.
- Hourly paid parking is available in the Red Hawk Parking Deck.
- A limited number of Red Hawk parking passes are available each year.
- Paid parking is also available in metered spaces for a maximum of two hours.
- For more information, please contact Standard Parking, Level 1 of the Red Hawk Deck at 973-655-7580.
- Campus maps are available at The Graduate School Office, Parking Services, and the Student Center Information Desk.
We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money orders, E-check, and credit cards. Payments can be made in person or online and we also have payment plans available. A mandatory New Student Enrollment Fee will be assessed to your account. This fee may be assessed to your account before or after you pay the term bill. Please note that statements will no longer be mailed to students. You must log into WESS for your account summary. For more information on how to pay your term bill, please visit the payment options section of the Office of the Bursar's website.
The Graduate School registration system is entirely online. In order to register, you need your CWID and your PIN.
You may also view the Schedule of Courses online through WESS. An up-to-date listing of courses is posted on WESS (Web Enrollment Services for Students), under course sections, or course section search.
To register for courses through WESS, click here.
You can buy your textbooks, computers, software, clothing, supplies and more at the University Bookstore.
To purchase textbooks, visit the Bookstore, located on the firsts floor of the Student Center, Monday through Saturday, or you go online. Online ordering is easy and convenient if you know your class schedule and semester. Here’s how to order:
- Once you select the appropriate term, the bookstore website will help you select your department, course, and section.
- Once you select the right class, the site will display a list of required and recommended textbooks for that class.
- Put your books in your shopping cart and continue to order your books for each of your classes.