Students posing with miniature flags

Essential Information

Once you have confirmed your acceptance to study with us at Montclair State University, there are some essential steps you will want to follow before the semester begins.

We encourage our international students with F-1 visas to review important information for accepted students.

Housing Information

If you would like on-campus housing, please request a housing application from the Office of Residence Life immediately after you have been accepted by The Graduate School. Please contact 973-655-5188 or email

When You Arrive

Please note the following:

  • You will receive information about our Graduate Orientation Program. Please be sure to arrive in time to take part in this important program.
  • If you have arranged for on-campus housing, you may move in by the report date listed on your I-20 Certificate.

Advising, Matriculation, and Registration

You must contact the Graduate Program Coordinator / Doctoral Program Director for your program as soon as you arrive in the United States to develop a work program. This is a formal statement of the academic requirements for your degree and must be completed before you can register for classes.

  • Contact Us regarding registration procedures and specific information about your program.
  • Please be aware that students with F-1 Student Visas must register for at least nine credits each semester in order to maintain their immigration status.
  • TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo and Test of English at Montclair State University: Prospective students seeking to study at Montclair State must demonstrate English proficiency by taking one of these exams prior to application review – TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language)IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test. Learn more about our international admissions requirements on our Apply Now page.
  • Montclair State University English Language Proficiency Requirement
    International students who earned undergraduate (or graduate) degrees in a country where English is not the official language are required to take the Montclair State ESL placement test and score higher than level IV. Students who do not place at this level will be provided with a list of ESL courses needed to reach the acceptable level of English proficiency. These courses will be added to the student’s program of study, and at least one course MUST be taken in the first semester of graduate study. While all students will be required to take the Montclair State ESL test, only degree seeking students will be required to register for ESL coursework.  Additionally, some Graduate Program Coordinators may decide to require all ESL courses be taken by their students. ESL Placement Test dates and locations

Applicants Already Studying in the US

If you are coming to Montclair State from another American institution, the Office of Global Engagement may have to issue a new I-20 for you. In order to complete this process, you must submit the following documents before the start of the semester:

  • Copy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Card and entry Visa.
  • Copy of the I-20 issued by the school you attended before you transferred to Montclair State University.
  • Transfer Out Form from your previous institution (if applicable)
  • Copy of your acceptance letter to Montclair State

If you do not hold or plan to hold an F-1 visa, you should submit copies of documents that indicate your current immigration status to the Office of Global Engagement via email

Financial Information

There are five forms of financial assistance available for eligible international students.

  • Graduate Assistantships and Teaching Assistantships
    • To apply for these positions, you need to indicate interest on the online application as well as obtain a Social Security Number. Please refer to more information on our website.

On-Campus Employment

  • On-campus jobs are extremely limited and must be approved by the Office of Global Engagement. Hiring decisions are based on departmental needs.

International Student Orientation

Graduate international students are required to attend the International Student Orientation in order to maintain their immigration status. More information, including registration link, can be found on our website.