Once you have confirmed your acceptance to study with us at Montclair State University, there are some essential steps you will want to follow before the semester begins.
If you would like on-campus housing, please request a housing application from the Office of Residence Life immediately after you have been accepted by The Graduate School. Please contact 973-655-5188 or email email@example.com
When You Arrive
Please note the following:
- You will receive information about our Graduate Orientation Program. Please be sure to arrive in time to take part in this important program.
- If you have arranged for on-campus housing, you may move in by the report date listed on your I-20 Certificate.
Advising, Matriculation, and Registration
You must contact the Graduate Program Coordinator / Doctoral Program Director for your program as soon as you arrive in the United States to develop a work program. This is a formal statement of the academic requirements for your degree and must be completed before you can register for classes.
- Contact Us regarding registration procedures and specific information about your program.
- Please be aware that students with F-1 Student Visas must register for at least nine credits each semester in order to maintain their immigration status.
- TOEFL/IELTS and Test of English at MSU: Once accepted students arrive in the United States, they are required to take an English language proficiency test, administered at Montclair State University. Upon review of the English language proficiency test score, students who score at IV or below may, depending on their course of study, be required to enroll in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at Montclair State University.
- MSU English Language Proficiency Requirement
International students who earned undergraduate (or graduate) degrees in a country where English is not the official language are required to take the MSU ESL placement test and score higher than level IV. Students who do not place at this level will be provided with a list of ESL courses needed to reach the acceptable level of English proficiency. These courses will be added to the student’s program of study, and at least one course MUST be taken in the first semester of graduate study. While all students will be required to take the MSU ESL test, only degree seeking students will be required to register for ESL coursework. Additionally, some Graduate Program Coordinators may decide to require all ESL courses be taken by their students. ESL Placement Test dates and locations
Applicants Already Studying in the US
If you are coming to Montclair State from another American institution, International Services will notify INS about your transfer. In order to complete the procedure, you must submit the following documents no later than fifteen days after the first day of classes to International Services at Montclair.
- Copy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Card and entry Visa.
- Copy of the I-20 issued by the school you attended before you transferred to Montclair State University.
- A Foreign Student Advisor’s Report that is signed and completed by the International Student Advisor at the school you are transferring from.
- Copy of the I-20 issued by Montclair State University. This I-20 is valid only if it has your signature.
- If you are a non-F-1 visa student, you should submit copies of documents that indicate your current immigration status to International Services.
There are five forms of financial assistance available for eligible international students.
- Graduate Assistantships and Teaching Assistantships
- To apply for these positions, you need to indicate interest on the online application as well as obtain a United States Social Security number which you can request from a local United States Social Security Office using documentation provided by International Services.
- Graduate Scholarships
- On-Campus Employment
- On-campus jobs are extremely limited and must be approved by International Services. Hiring decisions are based on departmental needs.
- Global Partner Award
- Students who have graduated from a Global Partner Institution and are accepted at Montclair State for an MA or MS graduate degree are eligible for a 35% discount on the cost of non-resident tuition. Fees are not discounted. MBA, MFA, and Doctoral Programs are not eligible for the 35% discount.