Paralegal Studies (Post-Baccalaureate Certificate)
The Department of Justice Studies offers a Paralegal Studies Certificate Program for post-baccalaureate students, which includes a balanced and varied background in the legal fundamentals, appropriate skills and practical field work experience necessary for employment as a legal assistant. The program develops intellectual and analytical skills, educates students for direct employment opportunities in the paralegal field and provides additional career possibilities in combination with a student’s undergraduate degree. The Montclair State University Paralegal Studies Program is the first and only state college or university in New Jersey to receive American Bar Association approval.
With the exception of giving legal advice, making court appearances and setting fees, a paralegal may carry out many tasks. Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Paralegal Studies (Post-Baccalaureate Certificate) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
A certificate of completion is awarded to all students who meet program standards, fulfill the 21 credit hours required in the program, maintain a 2.75 GPA and have completed a bachelor’s degree. For more information, please visit the Paralegal Studies (Post-Baccalaureate Certificate) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Paralegal Studies (Post-Baccalaureate Certificate) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Click to find the updated summer chair for this program.*