Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (Professional Science Master’s) (MS) ONLINE
The Master of Science in Sustainability Science with a concentration in Sustainability Leadership (Professional Science Master’s) is an online graduate degree program designed to fill a management need for governmental agencies, non-profit organizations and private-sector companies. Students pursue advanced training in sustainability science, while simultaneously developing valued business skills. The Professional Science Master’s (PSM) in Sustainability Leadership is designed for students to develop analytical skills and the ability to seek optimal solutions to complex issues. Coursework stresses the development of important written and oral communication skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks, the capacity to develop strategic vision in sustainability and the necessary competencies to translate sustainability science theory into applied decision-making. The cohort-based program encourages students to develop the skills of working collaboratively across time zones.
Along with the Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (MS) – Online degree, the department also offers the following options for graduate study: Sustainability Science (MS), Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (MS), and Sustainability Science (BS/MS).
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Office of Graduate Admissions requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the application page for international students to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account by following the general application instructions. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (M.S.) ONLINE program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement – Please write one integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
For the PSM in Sustainability Science with a concentration in Sustainability Leadership, students must complete 32 credit hours. Courses are offered sequentially during the fall, winter, spring and summer. This online master’s degree can be completed in an accelerated, one-year program or a part-time, two to three year program. For more information, please visit the program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
Office of Graduate Admissions
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (M.S.) ONLINE Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*