The Peer Advocate Program is a major component of Health Promotion. Created in 2004, Peer Advocates are student volunteers who have been trained to provide peer education, referral and health advocacy services to other students. Our volunteers bring a first-hand perspective to current health and social issues.
Peer Advocates help develop and implement new initiatives they recognize as critical to the campus and to help others make healthy lifestyle choices. They provide workshops, discussion groups, information and materials, and someone to talk to about health and social concerns. Their actions are all in an effort to create change and an actively healthy campus community.
How Can I Apply?
- Applications are open annually in July and are announced through a campus wide email. Follow us on social media or join our HawkSync to be the first to know when it opens (and receive reminders)!
- Once you fill out the application, you will be contacted via email to set up an interview date.
- Interviews will take place:
- Monday, August 19 through Thursday, August 22
- Tuesday, September 3 through Thursday, September 5
The application deadline is July 31 or until interview dates have been filled. Due to the overwhelming responses in past years, it is recommended that you fill out your application early in order to secure an interview spot.
Who Can Apply?
We accept applications from every student currently enrolled at Montclair State University! We also welcome students from any major or discipline to apply for these volunteer positions. Please Note: Students selected as Peer Advocates must complete the entirety of our mandatory training on the following dates:
- Saturday, September 14, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday, September 15, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m
- Sunday, September 29, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.