New Employee Information

New Employee Orientation and Enrollment

New full-time employees at Montclair State University are provided a letter of appointment and a date for their Benefits Orientation and Enrollment session, which is usually on the first day of employment. Representatives from Staffing Services and the Benefits Office meet with new employees at this time and provide a comprehensive overview of the benefits offerings. At this session, employees will have the opportunity to review health, pension and insurance materials, ask questions regarding these plans, and complete all the necessary paperwork to facilitate a paycheck, health insurance, and pension plan enrollment.

New Hire Package

All full-time employees will receive a New Hire Package containing forms and information about employment and benefits at Montclair State University. The New Hire Package is provided at the Benefits Orientation and Enrollment Session.

University Identification Cards

New employees must obtain a University identification card. It can be used for attendance at on-campus or community-sponsored events. The card is required for withdrawal of books from the Library, access to University buildings after official closing, and other important purposes. Employee identification cards can be obtained from the ID Card Office, located in the Student Center near the computer lab. Employees must present their official offer letter or a signed verification of employment letter from Human Resources to obtain a card. The identification card must be returned to the Division of Human Resources when employment is terminated. Lost or damaged cards will be replaced for a fee.

E-Mail/ISP Accounts

Electronic Mail accounts are established for new hires and, as a general matter, are activated approximately twenty-four hours after the employee’s appointment has been entered into the HRS system in the Division of Human Resources. The Office of Information Technology will issue the username and grant access upon verification of employment.

Parking Permits

Employees must obtain a parking permit to utilize the parking facilities on campus. Permits can be obtained at the Parking Services Office in the Red Hawk Deck, level P1. Appropriate documentation must be obtained and presented in order to receive an employee parking permit. For more information, please call the department of Parking Services at extension 7581. (See Other Pertinent Information: Section I for more information.)


The distribution and assignment of keys is a responsibility of the Physical Plant Department. Requests for keys shall be processed by the individual department heads on a Physical Plant Department work request form. There is no deposit required for the first key issued. All other keys (including replacements) will cost $3 each with a limit of three keys per lock. Special arrangements beyond three keys require additional funding from the requesting department. Keys must be returned to the Physical Plant Department upon termination of employment.

In the event that a building is locked on weekends, in the evening, during periods of winter holiday closures, and on state holidays, employees may gain entrance by reporting to the Campus Police dispatcher in accordance with negotiated procedures (for faculty and professional staff). During periods when the University is officially closed, faculty and staff will be permitted access only in the most limited of circumstances. Academic buildings will not be open for use by students unless a faculty member remains present in the building.

Reference Checking and Degree Verification

References will be checked for all employees. Highest degree status will be verified in each case when a degree is a requirement of the job.

Falsification of Application

Any information that is falsely reported as part of the application for employment process may be cause for withdrawal of an offer of employment and/or cause for termination of employment.