The Montclair State University IACUC meets semi-annually. Protocols requiring review at times not parallel to the meeting dates will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the committee.
Meeting Schedule for 2019-2020
- September 20, 2019
- November 8, 2019 (semi-annual meeting)
- Jan/Feb TBD
- April 29, 2020 (semi-annual meeting)
- November 11 or 13, 2020 (semi-annual meeting)
Who is required to submit?
Prior to their initiation, all animal projects receive approval from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Faculty members planning to use live vertebrate animals for any University-related activity must submit an animal care and use form (ACUF) to the IACUC for review, prior to the start of the project. All coursework and/or activities required for degree completion must be covered by an IACUC approved ACUF.
Regulations suggest a maximum of one year for animal study approvals. The IACUC will send courtesy reminders to PIs approximately 45-60 days before the expiration date of an approved study to allow sufficient time for renewal processing.
New Protocol Initial Review
- Obtain an IACUC FORM and submit via email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Studies submitted to the Montclair State University IACUC must include a completed application including all required signatures.
- Submit Animal Protocol Review to the IACUC. The IACUC administrator will acknowledge receipt and send the PI a protocol number to be used in all future correspondence. The IACUC administrator will conduct an administrative review of the application. Any missing components or findings will be returned to the PI within three business days.
- Preliminary Review by committee. The IACUC will conduct a preliminary review of the application to determine whether the application requires approval through a designated reviewer procedure (DRP) or through a full committee meeting (FCMP). All committee members are provided ample time (5-7 days) to decide if the protocol requires a full committee meeting.
- Designated Member Review. The IACUC administrator will forward the protocol to an appropriate reviewer as determined by the IACUC chair. The reviewer has 14 business days to review the protocol. All changes and concerns requested by the designated reviewer will be returned back to the IACUC administrator with copies to the IACUC veterinarian and IACUC chair. The IACUC administrator will notify the PI of the requested changes and the PI will be asked to respond within 15 days. The designated review and veterinarian will then review the responses and changes within 5-10 business days.
- Full Committee Meeting procedure. The IACUC administrator will forward the protocol and documents to the entire committee at least 14 business days prior to the meeting day. During the full committee members may recommend changes to the protocol. The IACUC administrator will notify the PI of the committee findings within two business days of the meeting. The PI will be asked to respond to the committee findings within 15 days.
- Protocol Outcomes
- Approval. A final approval letter will be issued to the PI by the IACUC administrator and signed by the IACUC chair. All protocols must abide by their expiration dates noted on the approval letters. All research activity must cease if a protocol is expired and noted approved under annual renewal.
- Disapproval. A PI will be notified of disapproval through a signed letter from the IACUC chair.